Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New user
RE: New user
I will leave further comment to the experts, but I see confirmation that your apnea is very well treated with APAP, and that you have a fairly high index of arousals associated with leg movements, with some significant portion of them periodic leg movements. Have you discussed this with your sleep doctor?

Are you feeling rested during the day? And do you feel you stay asleep pretty well at night?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm certainly feeling less tired in the day, less inclined to doze off on the sofa when watching TV in the afternoon. I still find myself waking up a few times a night, not sure if it's the nasal pillows causing arousal, or something else, and I then just re-adjust the pillows and go back to sleep, usually within a few mins as I don't think I've fully awoken.

And yes, I've spoken to my GP, who is reluctant to prescribe any medication for the PLMS at the moment, preferring to let my sleep consultant do the initial prescription and titration of the dose (they're the same drugs used to treat parkinsons amongst other things), then the GP can prescribe following on from that.

I have my next appointment for the consultant on the 7th July, but my GP is going to contact the consultant to see if he'll issue a prescription sooner.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better. It's normal to wake up off and on during the night, so by itself that isn't problematic. I hope you get to see the sleep doctor before July!

Keep us posted, would you?
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I've been prescribed Pramipexole 0.088mg to treat my PLMS. (Scarily, it's the same medication that is used for Parkinson's - but at a much lower dose for PLMS - but also has some very interesting potential side effects including strong impulses to gamble excessively!!).

The instructions are to take one tablet nightly, increasing by one tablet weekly until the symptoms are controlled. The question is how do I self-titrate and know the symptoms are controlled when I generally don't know I'm moving my legs, and neither does my husband!

Are there any signs in Oscar I should look for that are a give-away for PLMS?

Thanks.
Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
I've posted many examples of what my flow rate looks like during plm. I can post another here if you have trouble finding them after a search.

you can go by how you feel to determine if the medicine is helping. in addition, audio &/or video recording is the best way to understand what goes on while you & your husband are sleeping.

a couple members have figured out how to use dedicated or phone sensors to record & measure their movements. you can search the site or I can probably find their usernames (if they don't jump in here) as there's been some recent discussion of these. methods.

I hope the side effects remain only potential. ropinirole, which I'm taking now & is also used for parkinsons sufferers, can cause unintentional sleep, even while active & even a year after starting it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,159 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.