Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should XPAPs Have Built In Alarms?
Should XPAPs Have Built In Alarms?
I am on pain meds for an operation I had today. The team at the hospital took the apnea very seriously. They closely monitored me. I was also warned about the "Micheal Jackson Syndrome". To be careful with my apnea and the narcotics. This got me thinking that it might be good to have xPAP machines actually sound off an audible alarm to wake up users if they have a prolonged clear airway event. Or any prolonged event. I know the machines do that fluttering pressure thing, but if someone is really out that probably won't wake them up.

Or maybe some machines do this already?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should XPAPs Have Built In Alarms?
Some of the Resmed VPAP machines have an alarm as a module which fits between the blower and the humidifier. These are mainly ventilators rather than xPAP devices though.

http://www.resmed.com/us/en/commercial-p...ivaps.html
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that it would be useful, but on the other hand, it potentially would increase liability for cpap manufacturers. That would increase the price and lower sales.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have breathing cessations that are life-threatening, then a CPAP or APAP is not your solution. Ventilators are sometimes equipped with alarms, but if someone is actually at risk of severe desaturations, then an O2 monitor with alarms might be more to the point. Any alarm will be subject to a lot of falsing, and would be an irritation. I'm sure you've stayed in a hospital where monitors and alarms are hooked up. IMO alarms are mostly not for the patient, they are for the caregiver.

Bottom line, I would not want this feature on a machine I own.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  are these centrals or false alarms? AZAwake 4 410 02-02-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 365 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trilogy evo alarms Laurk 6 514 01-05-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Equipment] Resmed built-in Clock reseting at 9 am. jjtshop 7 1,709 12-18-2022, 10:49 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  mask with built-in chin support? lionel197 4 825 06-24-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: car54
  Alarms on Dreamstation BiPap AVAPS going off at night LookingForward 1 990 01-12-2021, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  HAS ANYONE BUILT A GOOD HOSE COOLER? Adoniscmj 39 14,250 04-19-2020, 11:32 AM
Last Post: tvkmez11

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.