Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie
New to this forum. And to CPAP.

After seeing my doc for a possible upper chest infection (lung x-ray clear) and complaining of gasping for breath during sleep, I was sent to the sleep lab for testing. Home test overnight diagnosed as severe apnea, AHI=38.

When the chest infection cleared up, I no longer had symptoms, but started CPAP treatment at the direction of the lab and my doc.

I am learning about all the good stuff available with sleepyhead (and the not-so good from the supplied dreammapper), but question #1 before going too far:

My AHI is under 5 every night .. . currently averaging about 2.9.

Just a quick starter question for the experienced...

Is this low AHI from CPAP treatment, or because I was symptomatic only during illness?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie
Well, there is a way to test that, I don't recommend it but you could simply turn the machine down to almost 0 help breathing and see what happens, but I think that is not smart. You should have gone through a titration sleep study to determine how to setup your machine (and if it would help) if so, then I assume your question is whether that study was negatively influenced by your chest infection and the doctor didn't notice? Well, it's possible, if that happened you need a new doctor. Personally I would give the doctor the benefit of the doubt and assume they took it into consideration. If you don't think so, then I would recommend a new sleep study to verify you need the CPAP machine.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it would be reasonable to assume that your AHI of under 5 is from Cpap treatment.
When you are able, filled out your profile, machine, mask, pressure, etc.
How long have you been on Cpap?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many people experience episodes of OSA for only a short period. This can be the result of an upper respiratory infection that causes nasal congestion, along with swelling of the throat, or tonsillitis that temporarily produces very enlarged tonsils. The Epstein-Barr virus, for example, is known to be able to dramatically increase the size of lymphoid tissue during acute infection, and OSA is fairly common in acute cases of severe infectious mononucleosis. Temporary spells of OSA syndrome may also occur in individuals who are under the influence of a drug (such as alcohol) that may relax their body tone excessively and interfere with normal arousal from sleep mechanisms.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2016, 12:35 PM)jkendall49 Wrote: Home test overnight diagnosed as severe apnea, AHI=38.
When the chest infection cleared up, I no longer had symptoms, but started CPAP treatment at the direction of the lab and my doc.
Is this low AHI from CPAP treatment, or because I was symptomatic only during illness?

The low AHI is because you are now using CPAP.

Yes, the chest infection could have made the OSA a bit worse. But a chest infection is not going to cause a person with NORMAL sleep to all of a sudden have an AHI of 38. My guess is that at best your natural OSA is well into the moderate range (15-30 events per hour.) And it could well be severe (over 30 events per hour). The CPAP is what's giving you the nice low AHI right now.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jkendall49,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are doing well with your therapy, just stick with it.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I concur with robysue's assessment of your situation, jk. Eat-popcorn
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2016, 12:52 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: Well, there is a way to test that, I don't recommend it but you could simply turn the machine down to almost 0 help breathing and see what happens, but I think that is not smart. You should have gone through a titration sleep study to determine how to setup your machine (and if it would help) if so, then I assume your question is whether that study was negatively influenced by your chest infection and the doctor didn't notice? Well, it's possible, if that happened you need a new doctor. Personally I would give the doctor the benefit of the doubt and assume they took it into consideration. If you don't think so, then I would recommend a new sleep study to verify you need the CPAP machine.
Yes, I guess that would be they way! After reviewing all the responses, I think I am over my denial!

Thanks.

(03-29-2016, 12:56 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Yes, it would be reasonable to assume that your AHI of under 5 is from Cpap treatment.
When you are able, filled out your profile, machine, mask, pressure, etc.
How long have you been on Cpap?
Thanks. I hadn't really thought through the process; it is only logical that CPAP is working. Denial gone!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2016, 03:14 PM)0rangebear Wrote: Many people experience episodes of OSA for only a short period. This can be the result of an upper respiratory infection that causes nasal congestion, along with swelling of the throat, or tonsillitis that temporarily produces very enlarged tonsils. The Epstein-Barr virus, for example, is known to be able to dramatically increase the size of lymphoid tissue during acute infection, and OSA is fairly common in acute cases of severe infectious mononucleosis. Temporary spells of OSA syndrome may also occur in individuals who are under the influence of a drug (such as alcohol) that may relax their body tone excessively and interfere with normal arousal from sleep mechanisms.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting . . .Thanks
(03-29-2016, 03:22 PM)robysue Wrote:
(03-29-2016, 12:35 PM)jkendall49 Wrote: Home test overnight diagnosed as severe apnea, AHI=38.

The low AHI is because you are now using CPAP.

Yes, the chest infection could have made the OSA a bit worse. But a chest infection is not going to cause a person with NORMAL sleep to all of a sudden have an AHI of 38. My guess is that at best your natural OSA is well into the moderate range (15-30 events per hour.) And it could well be severe (over 30 events per hour). The CPAP is what's giving you the nice low AHI right now.

Everyone seems to be in agreement . . .Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 291 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.