Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie
Question 
[attachment=11484]Hi All

New to forum and have been using CPAP for just over 3 months now. I still wake up exhausted, and with an anxious startle after 4-6 hours, and wondered if it was due to the operation of the CPAP. I attach my screenshot from last night and would be grateful for any insight. 

I am using Resmed Autosense10, pressure set to 4-9, with full time pressure release of 3, and elan nasal mask.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie
Welcome to the forum.  It isn't clear how you came to the prescribed settings of 4-9, with EPR of 3.  How was that determined, and under whose auspices?

Almost universally across subjects, people cannot/do not abide that lowest setting of 4 cm.  They feel air starved and it begets anxiety if nothing else.  It's not great for settling in towards sleep.  Mine is set at 5.6 currently, which works well for me.  You might be well advised to up yours to 5 and see how that feels for the next five or six nights minimum.  

Waking up groggy, and not feeling well rested as the day progresses, is unfortunately a common complaint across the board.  Some don't feel that way after a few days even, but many report here over the years that PAP therapy that seems to be well-dialed-in just doesn't make them feel better.

I don't know what to make of your startle, but if you awaken in stages and your machine senses it, it may reduce your pressure and you'll awaken to that miserly 4 whole cm of pressure.  Just sayin'....  Wink 

Your stats say there's a short-lived 'large leak'.  Somewhere that night you deformed or displaced the mask sufficiently that it couldn't seal, and the rest should be obvious.  It is almost certainly positional.  Your chin fell hard against a pillow, or your curled arm, or something, and the mask was knocked askew.  It isn't all bad because some people remove their masks entirely without realizing it...several times each night.  Anyway, if your mask does continue to get displaced, you may have to change pillows or use a cervical collar to help your relaxed head to stay better oriented to your body and your pillow.

There are some real prize fighters here who will help you to get more from your therapy.  Please wait for them to chime in.  I'll keep reading to see what they can offer you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie
Do you have a copy of your sleep study? If so, posting a copy with your personal info. would be helpful. I agree with Mesenteria that a minimum setting of 4 is too low. I would suggest a minimum closer to your median pressure, perhaps 5.6. Given that most of your events are centrals you may want to reduce ore turn off EPR and see what happens. EPR can induce centrals. None of this explains why you awake startled at 4-6 hours.

Your data will be more complete, however, if you eliminate the calendar by clicking on the black calendar by clicking on the black triangle to the left of the day and date and eliminate the pie chart by selection preferences in the file menu and unchecking the pie chart under the appearance tab. Also reorganizing your graphs as shown in the link below will provide more useful data.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 273 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.