Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Newbie
RE: CPAP Newbie
Last night I lowered the pressure on my CPAP, to combat against the Aerophagia. I was at 13.6 and I lowered the machine to 13. With my mouth taped, I only lasted 5 hours until the Aerophagia symptoms woke me up. AHI was 1.1 versus .8 when the pressure was 13.6.

Question: What will be an acceptable AHI zone?
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep going until you "feel" sleep has poorer quality. We expect AHI to rise with lower pressure, and finding the place where aerophagia and AHI are at a good compromise is not a science with a numerical answer. It is where you sleep best. CPAP efficacy is generally considered acceptable below 5.0 AHI. In your situation, it may be helpful to ignore the data and go by feel. This is another argument why you should be issued an Autoset rather than the "brick" CPAP. With variable pressure, you can use lower pressure much of the night and rely on the machine to raise pressure when needed. Imagine being able to use a minimum pressure of 8.0 or 9.0 and sleeping comfortably through the night. You should consider asking your doctor to change the prescription to Auto CPAP to accommodate your problem with aerophagia.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@SleepRider, thank you for the info. I'm definitely reaching out to my Dr. to change my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 391 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 273 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.