Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie DreamStation Auto
Newbie DreamStation Auto
I was recently diagnosed with mild sleep apnea, mostly hypopnea events related to REM sleep. I have the DreamStation AutoCPAP, but I think its set for a constant pressure, not auto. I'm currently using the ResMed AirFit full face mask, but since it doesn't work well when sleeping on my side, they're sending me a nose pillow that should be here tomorrow. I've been using the machine for 9 days, but I don't feel any more rested than before, my AHI numbers are still above 5, usually at least 7. Doing a little bit of research, I learned that an AutoCPAP is better for oxygen levels dropping in relation to REM. 

I guess my question is, is it likely that I'm not feeling relief because of the mask, or the machine not being in Auto mode?

I also downloaded OSCAR, and holy cow does that have SOOOO much more information than the puny DreamMapper app! I attached last night's data. I also have a screenshot of the night before and the overview if that would be helpful. Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie DreamStation Auto
Welcome to the forum.

What you have is a typical DreamStation issue of not enough pressure. We like auto mode because it makes it somewhat easier to pin down your optimum settings
Try 8-15 in auto mode or we can just step up in fixed mode, if so try 9,
Post Reply Post Reply
I owned fa dream station and could never get good treatment and after 5 years it got worse. I asked to get a new ResMed VAUTO but was told I could not have another machine without the dream station being unusable so I purchased from supplier#2. It was used for a month before I bought it last night NO events at all.  If you can I would tell them this machine is not working for you and you want a ResMed. Just my 2 cents.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I started four years ago on a Dreamstation set at 7.0 and it worked reasonably well, then as my numbers weren't as low as I wanted I went to 8.0 but with little difference, and then went higher which actually increased my AHI.

My numbers again started to climb a while back, but also I had started to relax my jaw more in my sleep and was having mouth leaks using the F&P Eson nose mask.

Now with a new ResMed AirFit F20 full face mask, and after playing with auto settings for a bit, I'm now consistently under 0.9 (with a 0.3 the other night  Cool and usually 0.4 to 0.6)

Now I have a minimum of 8.0 and a maximum of 15.0 (20.0 kept waking me up on the odd occasions it would go that high)
I don't use ramp or EPR settings, but have Auto ON/OFF switched on so I don't have to reach under the edge of the bed to start or stop the machine.

It may take a little bit of time, but with some adjustments you will most likely achieve success.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to using Auto mode or a pressure of 9.0, I would suggest you either turn off ramp, or select a higher minimum pressure and use the auto ramp feature rather than the fixed 30 minutes. It's obvious you have many events during that 30 minute ramp, I count at least 9 events there alone which starts you off with an AHI of 18. Pretty awful start, don't you think? Here is a quick tutorial on accessing your clinical settings https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 267 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.