Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie Problems
Newbie Problems
Hi all,

firstly, I'm so grateful to have found this forum, thank you to all who contribute here.

I was diagnosed recently with OSA/CSA and just started using a rented F&P Icon Auto machine a couple of nights ago.

Apologies for all the questions to follow, I've had some issues and would like to know if others have had similar problems. I'd be very grateful if anyone can offer any advice.

Unfortunately, the info I got from the cpap supplier when I picked up the machine was minimal - I think they just expect me to 'do as I'm told' which, as a health professional myself, is a very out-dated attitude that helps no-one in the long-term, and the person couldn't answer most of my questions anyhow.

My main problem is tube condensation - where I live it's early winter with temps between 0-8C (32-46F) at night, so fairly cold - heated tubing came with the machine but I'm not sure it's actually working.

Question - should the tubing feel warm to touch when the machine is running? Mine doesn't...

I found the info for the heat and humidity settings myself as the supplier failed to tell me about them... the heat had been preset at 4, I've now increased it to 7 (max) and set the humidity to maximum boost.

My second night was better after increasing the heat/humidity but after 4 hours approx I was again woken up by water in the tubing - both in the narrower pigtail tubing that's attached to the nasal pillows, and the larger heated (supposedly) tubing.

I'm just wondering how much condensation water is 'normal' with heated tubing - the manufacturer's site claims complete elimination but is this true in the real world?

Also, does anyone have any tips on the best way to dry out the tubing? Even after a day left hanging up to dry there's still plenty of moisture left inside.

Additionally, I'm supposed to return to the supplier with the USB stick in two weeks so they can download the data and send it to my doc. However, I really don't want to go through a commercial third party (who is also 2 hours away) to do this and would prefer to be able to access and forward my own data myself. I've searched for the 'Infosmart' software that F&P use but can only find a Windows version, would anyone know if there's a Mac version around?

For now, I'm using 'Sleepyhead', which is great, but I'm not sure if it captures the info that my doc will require, so I'm interested to know what other user's experiences are with their doctors and this software.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that cpap will work out for me and I can realise the benefits of it!

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Problems
G'day Marilouw, welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with the F&P machine but on my Resmed the heated hose doesn't feel warm. It's probably a couple of degrees above ambient so you won't notice any temperature difference by touch. You shouldn't get any water coming through if things are set up properly. It may be you should lower the humidity setting a bit. On my Resmed I've never had any problem with rainout, so it does work in the real world.

Occasionally I need to dry out my hose after washing it - I connect it directly to the blower and run the air through it for 20 minutes or so with no mask attached. Put the machine on a high shelf so that the hose is hanging down. I think with the F&P you would just run it without any water in the tank.

If you haven't already done so, you can request the clinical manual, which should give you a lot more information that's not normally available to us mere patients. The link is at the top of this page.

Hope this helps - feel free to ask for any more help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not familiar with F&P equipment. I have used both Resmed S9 and PRS1 960TS, both with heated hose and never experienced rainout. I wouldn't have even understood it if I hadn't read about it here so often.
Are you sure they actually provided you with the heated hose? Was it sealed in original packaging and labeled as such? Does it it have the electrical connection at the machine end of the hose, or are both ends of the hose the same?
There is a saying here, if it is midnight and your DME tells you it is dark outside, go out and check for yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am have little knowledge concerning heated hoses since I futz along with an antiquated non-heated hose and no actual humidity control just a switch that controls the heating of the plate. I have, however, had some experience with rainout. The first thing that I would do (if you have not already) is to position the hose so that it rises immediately from your machine to where you are sleeping-the steeper the better. I put my machine within 3 inches of the floor and pull the hose up tight and keep the excess hose with me in the bed. The point is to keep away from having a loop that water will settle in and allow any condensation to run back into the humidifier. Another method would be to hang the hose over something fairly high and allow it to come down to you from there.

If you are having major mouth leaks, it may exacerbate the problem as the air velocity in the tube goes up and of course it would also affect your therapy.

One other thing. I may have misunderstood but turning the humidity up would not help the condensation problem. You would want to turn it down.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2014, 06:12 AM)marilouw Wrote: I was diagnosed recently with OSA/CSA and just started using a rented F&P Icon Auto machine a couple of nights ago.
The machine in your profile 'F&P Icon+ Premo', the Premo is not auto machine and not designed to treat central sleep apnea
Unlike ResMed S9 AutoSet or PR System One Auto, the Icon don,t detect central sleep apnea

The clinical manual for the Icon and the guide for Icon + are available via Email - section three ... other manuals
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

The heated hose (ThermoSmart) can reduce condensation, if you,re using the standard hose ... try placing the machine lower than the bed, turn down humidity and get a hose cover to insulate the hose. As for drying the hose ... hang it to dry

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi marilouw,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The heated tube should just bearly feel warm to the touch, at least that's the way mine feels as I use my machine.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
marilouw, welcome, I also live in Melbourne, you should be able to find someone in Melbourne that is closer than 2 hours, there is almost one in each suburb. Mine is about 5 minutes away and I can drop in anytime. Let me know if you need some assistance with someone closer to you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi im also new and I use a F&P . from my understanding 4 is the normal setting for humidity 7 the max which means you are pushing more moister threw your tubing which is why its warmer. I have found depending on the night the air can feel warmer or cooler depending on the weather temperature. Try going back to the default setting of 4 and increasing it by one a day or 2 until you feel comfortable ( this is what the clinic told me to do and Ive found it best to leave it at 4 for me). Also each time you turn your machine on it will return to the default settings.

hope this helps
I think Im lucky in NZ our machines are free and we can ring the sleep clinic any time for advice
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2014, 05:16 PM)coeur Wrote: I think Im lucky in NZ our machines are free
Free for everyone or just if you,re receiving some welfare payment
Which Icon they gave you ... Auto, premo, or Novo

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2014, 06:12 AM)marilouw Wrote: Additionally, I'm supposed to return to the supplier with the USB stick in two weeks so they can download the data and send it to my doc. However, I really don't want to go through a commercial third party (who is also 2 hours away) to do this and would prefer to be able to access and forward my own data myself. I've searched for the 'Infosmart' software that F&P use but can only find a Windows version, would anyone know if there's a Mac version around?

For now, I'm using 'Sleepyhead', which is great, but I'm not sure if it captures the info that my doc will require, so I'm interested to know what other user's experiences are with their doctors and this software.
marilouw,

Your signature shows that you are using an F&P Icon+ Premo. I was NOT aware that SleepyHead would work with the Icon+ machines, even though it works with the Icon (non-plus) machines.

Can you confirm that your machine really is an Icon+ Premo? It would be nice to see a screen shot of the SleepyHead data you are getting off the Icon+ Premo. It will make a difference to some folks on another forum, who all think that SleepyHead won't work with the Icon+ series.

Here in the US, F&P Icon+ users who want InfoSmart are very frustrated: F&P refuses to allow it to be sold to US patients, and the best of my knowledge no-one has been able to find a place to download it from either. I think a few patients have been able to get their hands on Inforsmart if their doc was willing to write a prescription for the software, but it's been a big pain in the you-know-where for people. (It's not available in the software links in the private area of this forum for example.) If you can buy it in Australia, that would be your best bet for being able to download in a format that will match what the doc is expecting.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,015 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.