Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie - Questions about my CPAP I will be getting tomorrow
Newbie - Questions about my CPAP I will be getting tomorrow
Hi Everyone!

I've recently been diagnoses with moderate sleep apnea, tomorrow I get my CPAP.

For years I've struggled with worsening fatigue, day time naps, and a decrease in my ability to concentrate, which sucks as I'm only 27 and am in college. Until now, these symptoms, and other, were attributed to fibromyalgia and was basically told to live with it. Now, perhaps my new CPAP will be able to offer some relief.

With that being said, does anyone have any advice for me? I'm going for my fitting tomorrow, and I'll only have OHIP to cover a part of it. It's so confusing with all the different machines, masks, etc. I'm nervous and excited. Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - Questions about my CPAP I will be getting tomorrow
Amie87, welcome, we have all been there and no how you feel, so you are not alone. There is a heap to learn so just take in as much as you can. Write down any questions you have for them and make sure you get satisfactory answers or ask us Smile
It is daunting at the start but we are here to help you get through it and the benefits far out way the hassles.
Good luck, keep a positive attitude towards it and keep us updated on your progress.
This is the first step in a long journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Smile

I'm just a bit worried because I've heard some horror stories from people saying how terrible it is, but on the other hand, for ever bad story there seems to be at least 3 or 4 that are happy with it Big Grin

I also don't know anyone on CPAP to ask questions, but hopefully it goes well tomorrow.

Also, the last year and half I've been waking up with a very dry mouth and nasal passages, to the point they bleed, do you (or anyone) know if they humidifier in the CPAP machines will help this? Apparently I sleep with my mouth open.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check out this page:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Write down the ones you should NOT accept possession of or the ones you think you want. Make sure you get it. OHIP (Ontario, right?) might work with you, especially if you mention compliance and all that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks, I'll check that out!

And yes, Ontario :p
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Amie87,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Try to go into this with an open mind and a positive attitude and that will help you as you start your CPAP journey.
Let us know how things go for you tomorrow and hang in there for more suggestions.
Much success to you as you start CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Big Grin

I will post tomorrow with what I end up getting. I'm just hoping I get a good machine, lol. I'm on student income at the moment with no private insurance so I guess we'll see what's what.

I'm thinking the lady on the phone said the package if a philips respironics or something of the sort, and it comes with a nasal mask. I guess this mask may or may not work since I am a mouth breather. But either way, it seems here in Ontario the prices for the machines and whatnot are regulated by the government (Meaning the dealers can sell for less, but not more then the Ontario standard rate). With the being said, in January I may get a new mask that covers my mouth if needed, as I won't save any money buying it right away, and at least I'll have a chance to try the nasal mask.

Oh, and a question, what does the constant pressure feel like? Is it hard to breath? I picture it kinda feeling like being waterboarded. lol. I'm not sure how strong of a pressure to expect. My prescription is for the range of 6-9cm. (I think it's in cm)
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2014, 09:31 PM)Amie87 Wrote: Thanks Smile

I'm just a bit worried because I've heard some horror stories from people saying how terrible it is, but on the other hand, for ever bad story there seems to be at least 3 or 4 that are happy with it Big Grin

I also don't know anyone on CPAP to ask questions, but hopefully it goes well tomorrow.

Also, the last year and half I've been waking up with a very dry mouth and nasal passages, to the point they bleed, do you (or anyone) know if they humidifier in the CPAP machines will help this? Apparently I sleep with my mouth open.

Amie, the very dry mouth is because you are mouth breathing and you are trying to suck in air due to the obstruction caused by SA. You may need a full face mask but look at the different options. If your treatment works correctly, the dry mouth should go. The humidifier will help, it is more for comfort but if you can afford it get a CPAP with humidifer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure the Phillips you get is a Series 60 and data capable, do not take anything less.

6-9 is a baby script Tongue you'll do just fine. Real men like me are 15+ But you Canadians are so pansy you couldn't handle it Dielaughing Of course I'm just joking with you.

Don't get any preconceived notions about being a mouth breather either. That whole thing is what they tell everyone who starts out, and of course if you couldn't breathe your mouth would open as you gasped for air. With the PAP you will be able to breathe and most of us adjust quickly.

As to love or hate, you should love it in a few months when you can see real results. I loved it to start. Others vary but we all adapt (yup even Canadians) Eh?
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
ROTFL Gal!!!

I hope it does help with the dry mouth Smile. My mouth is like sandpaper in the morning and it's so hard to swallow! Frig, even when I drink water in the morning it takes a minute before it actually wets my mouth.

I'll keep that in mind about the machine. I feel so lost looking at all the different ones and what they can do :p. So far, data capable and a humidifier seem to be important.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 156 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 483 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.