Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie - Questions about my CPAP I will be getting tomorrow
RE: Newbie - Questions about my CPAP I will be getting tomorrow
(12-11-2014, 09:31 PM)Amie87 Wrote: Also, the last year and half I've been waking up with a very dry mouth and nasal passages, to the point they bleed, do you (or anyone) know if they humidifier in the CPAP machines will help this? Apparently I sleep with my mouth open.

The machine and the humidifier will definately help you Amie. Your dry mouth problem as you know is because you have been breathing through your mouth. For CPAP to be effective, it will be necessary for you to not do that, and the good news is you will be able to not do that. The nasal mask seems to be a fairly common starting point. You may like it and do very well, or over time you may need to move to a full face mask, or my preference, a pillows mask. We'll help you in the process of figuring all this out.

I would encourage you to ask for a chinstrap tomorrow along with your new mask. Gently applied, the chinstrap can encourage your jaw to stay forward, and your mouth to stay closed. That will give you the best chance for success with the nasal mask.

(12-11-2014, 10:55 PM)Amie87 Wrote: Oh, and a question, what does the constant pressure feel like? Is it hard to breath? I picture it kinda feeling like being waterboarded. lol. I'm not sure how strong of a pressure to expect. My prescription is for the range of 6-9cm. (I think it's in cm)

Actually it doesn't really "feel" like anything. Sometimes I have to pull my mask off a little bit just to reassure myself it's really doing something.

If you're like most, it will take you a couple of days to get used to all of this. But then they say that everyone's different. That's not quite true: I'm not different. I'm the same. But maybe everyone else is different. I don't know for sure.

Be sure to write in with any questions or concerns and we'll help you with them.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2014, 11:28 PM)Amie87 Wrote: ROTFL Gal!!!

I hope it does help with the dry mouth Smile. My mouth is like sandpaper in the morning and it's so hard to swallow! Frig, even when I drink water in the morning it takes a minute before it actually wets my mouth.

I'll keep that in mind about the machine. I feel so lost looking at all the different ones and what they can do :p. So far, data capable and a humidifier seem to be important.

Thats right and either Resmed or Phillips are your best choices of brands
Post Reply Post Reply
Just need to add that really really dry mouth as you are describing is often caused by snoring. Not that I've heard you do that or anything, but if that's the case one of the very first things to go when you start cpap is snoring. So if is a problem in your case, kiss it goodbye.
Post Reply Post Reply
Data capable is a must. The reason is simple, if you are cognizant of the data, and check on it you will know for certain how well you are doing. If you get a brick (no data) then when you have an issue we'll be flying blind to help you.

The humidifier will certainly help with dryness. Also try some biotene mouth wash it is extremely helpful. You may also want to inquire about a chinstrap if they are giving you a nasal mask, though they will likely give you one anyway, you should remember it as it will help you keep your breathing through your nose.

Luckily you found us, we'll get you through it, all we want is some fries and that cheesy stuff....
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Big Grin

Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys! It's so nice to have people to discuss this with!! And I've been told I snore loudly, haha, I've actually been startled awake a few times by my snoring when I'm drifting off sitting up. XD
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2014, 11:48 PM)Amie87 Wrote: Big Grin

Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys! It's so nice to have people to discuss this with!! And I've been told I snore loudly, haha, I've actually been startled awake a few times by my snoring when I'm drifting off sitting up. XD

Well there you have it. That's the sandpaper mouth thingy. Kiss that goodbye starting tomorrow night. Your neighbors will be thrilled.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not the snoring that startles you, the snoring is a sign that you are stopping breathing which is the sleep apnea. At you first sleep study they should have told you what you AHI is, this is a really important figure, it is how many times you stop breathing for 10 secs or more per hour on average. This determines the severity of your sleep apnea. Normal people stop breathing between 0-5 times an hour on average, 5-15 is Mild, 15-30 is Moderate and 30+ is servere. Each time you stop breathing you wake up either consciously or sub consciously, this ie why your tired during the day and others have other symptoms like headaches, aches and pains etc. Each time you wake up your body goes into the fight or flight response, your blood rushes from your extemities, hands and feet to your vital organs, your heart and brain. Many sufferers of SA get cold hands and feet due to this. Imagine the stress this puts on your body hundreds of times a night. This is sleep apnea. It causes other illnesses like heart attack, stroke, depression etc, etc, etc. Thats why treatment is so important and CPAP is a treatment not a cure, you will have it for life, but at lease you will have a good quality of life. Most of us, especially on here love our CPAPS and most including myself can no longer sleep without it. It becomes part of our body when we go to sleep Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2014, 11:07 PM)Galactus Wrote: Make sure the Phillips you get is a Series 60 and data capable, do not take anything less.

6-9 is a baby script Tongue you'll do just fine. Real men like me are 15+ But you Canadians are so pansy you couldn't handle it Dielaughing Of course I'm just joking with you.

Don't get any preconceived notions about being a mouth breather either. That whole thing is what they tell everyone who starts out, and of course if you couldn't breathe your mouth would open as you gasped for air. With the PAP you will be able to breathe and most of us adjust quickly.

As to love or hate, you should love it in a few months when you can see real results. I loved it to start. Others vary but we all adapt (yup even Canadians) Eh?

I just realized that my prescription is in cm, although you're in the states, are your prescriptions also in cm? As in your 15=15cm? lol
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is nice little machine from ResMed and girls friendly
[Image: xAirSense10_AutoSet_for_Her.jpg.CROP.thu...WgSnVC.jpg]
http://www.resmed.com/au/en/healthcare-p...r-her.html

There are many tips for new CPAP users that can make a difference when starting on CPAP therapy
Tips for new CPAP users http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
Best of luck on your journey

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2014, 12:01 AM)Amie87 Wrote:
(12-11-2014, 11:07 PM)Galactus Wrote: Make sure the Phillips you get is a Series 60 and data capable, do not take anything less.

6-9 is a baby script Tongue you'll do just fine. Real men like me are 15+ But you Canadians are so pansy you couldn't handle it Dielaughing Of course I'm just joking with you.

Don't get any preconceived notions about being a mouth breather either. That whole thing is what they tell everyone who starts out, and of course if you couldn't breathe your mouth would open as you gasped for air. With the PAP you will be able to breathe and most of us adjust quickly.

As to love or hate, you should love it in a few months when you can see real results. I loved it to start. Others vary but we all adapt (yup even Canadians) Eh?

I just realized that my prescription is in cm, although you're in the states, are your prescriptions also in cm? As in your 15=15cm? lol

Yes they are, mine is actually 18. And believe it or not they gave me a damned brick, fixed cpap at 18, and no damned data. Learn from our mistakes, no need to make your own as they're likely to be the same ones inflicted on some of us.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 6 113 8 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  EPR questions juniper 1 85 Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 103 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 182 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 143 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 162 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 241 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.