Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie far away from doctor seeks advice on settings
Newbie far away from doctor seeks advice on settings
Hi all, I have been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea, and I started on  a Resmed Aircurve 10s vauto with Dreamwear fuil face mask (and I bought the resmed F30i separately mask.) I started off with a pillow mask and a nose mask, but after I got large leaks I went to the full faced masks.

I am abroad now for a month, and anyway it's always difficult to reach my doctor.  When I told him some of my initial statistics, he said that when I get back I should get  an ASV machine. I am not sure why he should not at least try to adjust my pressure settings. (Now they are set at 8 epap and 12 ipap.) Since  I arrived here (Israel) I haven't been sleeping as well, but that may be jet lag. Anyway, here are last two days

and here is one from two weeks ago. 

I usually wake up 2-3 times a night. 

I would appreciate any help on settings, or tips. I am sorry for being the millionth person to ask these questions.

Best
Charles
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie far away from doctor seeks advice on settings
Welcome. I have the same machine, however, I have only used it in VAUTO mode so this may not be the best for the mod you are using. 

On my machine I would make 2 changes

Ps0
Min10
Trigger very high
Both of thes should help but will not get rid of the centrals. There is a special machine - ASV that is made to treat centrals.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2021, 10:53 AM)staceyburke Wrote: Welcome. I have the same machine, however, I have only used it in VAUTO mode so this may not be the best for the mod you are using. 

On my machine I would make 2 changes

Ps0
Min10
Trigger very high
Both of these should help but will not get rid of the centrals. There is a special machine - ASV that is made to treat centrals.

Thanks that is very helpful. My doctor probably saw the number of centrals (clear airwary in Oscar, right?) and concluded that I need the ASV machine. But I will try out those settings until I get back to US.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board,

That Central Apnea/Clear Airway/CA Trainwreck of purple flags is a very good reason your doc is suggesting ASV. You have a rare doc that recognizes how to treat CA. That's a keeper.

Yes try those edits. The best this VAuto can do is avoid some CA, and it's likely not to be very successful. You're going to still need ASV, specifically the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. I've used it for a few years myself not too long ago, but my therapy needs are beyond this now. It'll take this mess and straighten it up easy enough. Very easy setup too.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2021, 11:25 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Welcome to the Apnea Board,

That Central Apnea/Clear Airway/CA Trainwreck of purple flags is a very good reason your doc is suggesting ASV. You have a rare doc that recognizes how to treat CA. That's a keeper.

Yes try those edits. The best this VAuto can do is avoid some CA, and it's likely not to be very successful. You're going to still need ASV, specifically the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. I've used it for a few years myself not too long ago, but my therapy needs are beyond this now. It'll take this mess and straighten it up easy enough. Very easy setup too.

There are qualified sleep doctors in Israel, and most of them can speak English.  Also, you can probably have a tele-medicine visit with your doctor (be conscious of the time difference).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 5 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.