Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie here...
Brick 
Newbie here...
Hello everyone! I am glad to have found this forum. I've had sleep apnea for many years now and I am finally beginning to take it seriously. I don't have health insurance at the present moment and I am wondering if I can glean enough information from this forum to get a machine and set it up to suit my needs. My daughter tells me I need a prescription, but - again, I don't have health insurance, so I won't be able to do a sleep study unless it is free somewhere...

Where do I begin? Thank you in advance and have a great day!

Crazy John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie here...
(08-29-2014, 04:12 PM)crazyjohn Wrote: I've had sleep apnea for many years now and I am finally beginning to take it seriously. I don't have health insurance at the present moment and I am wondering if I can glean enough information from this forum to get a machine and set it up to suit my needs.
Welcome to the forum
Have you been diagnosed at all? Your GP can write a prescription

Supplier #2 have some good deals on used and new machines with warranty
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

You want APAP machine, can calculate the pressure based on the severity of the events and adjust pressure to your needs throughout the night

Either ResMed AutoSet (not S9 Escape Auto) or Phillips Respironcis System One (PRS1) Auto , model number 550 or 560 is good choice and supported by free software whch you can download from this forum
PRS1 Auto is cheaper than the S9 AutoSet

Getting the clinical manual so you can set the machine and learn about the options and features is the easy part
Available via email from here http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

btw, you,re not crazy at all, well done on doing your homework Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
Machine 'require' a prescription but that doesn't mean you can't get one without it (see Craigslist or Google).

You will first want to learn enough to get a decent machine.

Where do you live that there is no insurance for you?

We'll help.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi crazyjohn,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could get a machine on Craig's list but, try to get it near where you live, so you can meet up with the person to test it to see that it works okay.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, crazyjohn,

Welcome You've made the first step in keeping yourself healthy, so you are not "crazy"! I'm glad your daughter is encouraging you to get your sleep apnea treated. You'll find lots of help and encouragement here. Welcome!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi crazyjohn,

@moderators: if i do something against the board-rules here, please delete the post and pm me.

i'm not a doctor, just an IT guy working a lot with medical IT equipment (and also suffering with sleep apnea), so all below is just an advice "as i know", not in any way a medical information.

There're two very important indicators to know, if you seek for relief of your apneas.
1st: How often do you have apneas while you sleep, and what's the duration?
2nd: How does it affect your blood oxygen level?

The first question may be answered by your wife. Like "Hell, you stop breathing for about a minute ten times a night!"
To answer the second question, i would strongly recommend to buy a pulse oximeter. Look for one with internal memory.
Then you may sleep with that thingy on your finger and the next day you're able to upload and see what your pulse rate and your blood oxygen level is doing at night.

If you see a lot of points, where your oxygen drops and your pulse will go up after x seconds, you "see" a typical apnea. You stop breathing.... one part of your brain picks up the phone, calling the other part "Hey, what's wrong, my O2 fuel is running out! Do something!" and the other part takes a look at crazyjohns meters, knocks at the O2 meter and say "Oh Sh**!, ok, let's put out some adrenaline and tell the guy to breath!"

That's the part bringing up stress at night, refusing you from good sleep.

Ok, in a professional lab, a lot more things will be measured. But Breathing, Pulse and O2 are the most important parts.

Like the foreposters mentioned: Try to pick up a cheap machine and a mask.

Than try to find the optimum pressure to reach the optimal situation, that your O2 level won't drop at night. That's the most complicated part but even for an MD it's more or less "trial and error".

As a last note: Please have in mind, that a CPAP/APAP machine is not the glory solution for everyone. Your problem may also be related, that your tongue will block the airway at night, so a "protusion splint" (sorry, don't know if it's the right term, had to google this) may be YOUR solution for a good sleep. This would be a job for a specialized dentist.

Ok, sorry for these tons of text, hope it's of some help for you

Mac
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Crazyjohn. Wait until you meet our crazy retired_guy!

The only thing the moderators might jump on -- since the board is located in the US; and US Federal law requires a prescription for a machine and certain supplies -- they cannot condone acquisition without an Rx.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
So far in this thread, no one has yet "solicited or facilitated the sale, trade or transfer of any prescription-required items (such as CPAP machines, humidifiers, masks or mask parts)". That would be a violation of U.S. laws since neither party is a licensed Durable Medical Equipment supplier (DME).

I personally don't like the prescription requirement, but that's the law in the U.S. unfortunately.

If you choose to purchase a CPAP machine, as others have said, Craigslist or going through a Supplier who may "forget" to ask for your prescription might be one route to go. Also, while we're not offering medical advice here, I'm sure folks are more than willing to help you out with their own experiences and knowledge if you choose to go the "self-treatment" route.

Having said that, I still think that if you can any way afford it, it's best to get a sleep study, since self-diagnosis of sleep apnea may be problematic for you... you could have some other malady that mimics the symptoms of sleep apnea, but you'll never know for sure unless you have a sleep study done. Sometimes one can be done at home - those are usually much less expensive.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2014, 11:52 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: .......... That would be a violation of U.S. laws since neither party is a licensed Durable Medical Equipment supplier (DME).

But maybe I am.... Don't know for sure........... Is that the same thing as having a library card? I'll check with the voices...........

Well, they all agree (except for that one guy) that it is the same. So I can solicicate if I want to.

But I kind of forgot what we're talking about.

I think I'll go now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2014, 11:59 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Is that the same thing as having a library card?

Yes, it's exactly the same, but you have to turn the CPAP back in on time or face rather hefty overdue fines. Cool Bigwink
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 478 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 295 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.