Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie looking for help/opinions please!
RE: Newbie looking for help/opinions please!
Just had the call i was dreading from the hospital sleep department who's  care i am under. Long and short of it i got a bollocking for changing my settings and told that i should have called them to get them to change it. The nurse was saying its their equipment and the minimum pressure I've got it on is to high etc etc. I came down to my laptop whilst on the call to start citing my numbers I'm achieving on SH but i felt that it was falling on deaf ears!

The nurse is going to discuss with my consultant and i should be getting a call tomorrow. Im worried now that they might take the unit back or something like that. Do they even know what they are doing as she's talking about putting my min pressure down to 4-5. She said that leaks might be causing the spikes in pressure as the machine auto adjusts to compensate. However the SH data tells me all i need to know.

She also said that i would have been prescribed my original pressures for good reason , these were 4-17. A few days into treatment i got a call saying that i wasn't getting anywhere near 17 so it was lowered to 15!

Get the feeling that these nurses and sleep clinic workers don't appreciate joe bloggs self educating himself in order to get more from CPAP therapy , thats understandable as they spend a long time at college and uni in order to do these jobs.

Another thing one of the other nurses said to me at the start in relation to app results figures etc was forget all and that its how you feel that matters as these machines are not as clever as people think and record a lot of false data etc.

Anyway i'm confused now as they have access to all the data i have on SH , i'm now under 3 for AHI through my own changes made as advised on this forum by the helpful members.

Edit: they called again and the consultant is unhappy that i have made my own changes , however she is happy for my upper pressure to be left at 20 but wants my lower pressure lowered to 5. I'm guessing that all thats going to happen is my AHI is going to go back up and lots of disruption from the machine having to auto adjust up from 5 to 15+ through the night.

The nurse has said that I'm going to now do an overnight oxygen type test whilst wearing/using my CPAP and will also have to come into clinic to go through it all with the consultant. I feel a stern lecture coming my way!

Tell me what you think guys

Regards

Buck
Post Reply Post Reply
Just checked my machine and despite being told on the phone that my max would stay at 20 and the min at 5 the actual settings are 4-14

Cant wait for the brilliant results I'm now going to get from those pressures!

Buck
Post Reply Post Reply
Believe it or not I've seen several Titration Protocols that call for setting ANY APAP (Auto CPAP) to 4 - 20 presumable because they auto-adjust. We know that just doesn't happen.

I do see "Airplane mode" sometime in your future.

Keep in mind that the "Pros" know more than everyone else. You may have to play along for a while. That may mean calling them on a daily basis saying your therapy isn't working.

We can help you with the why's.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2017, 11:18 AM)bonjour Wrote: Believe it or not I've seen several Titration Protocols that call for setting ANY APAP (Auto CPAP) to 4 - 20 presumable because they auto-adjust.  We know that just doesn't happen.  

I do see "Airplane mode" sometime in your future.

Keep in mind that the "Pros" know more than everyone else.  You may have to play along for a while.  That may mean calling them on a daily basis saying your therapy isn't working.  

We can help you with the why's.

Hi Fred

What i'm most annoyed at is that i just been lied to over the phone , the nurse said that my upper pressure would stay at 20 as agreed with the consultant and min lowered to 5 , yet when i checked the machine just now it's set at 4-14 which is more or less my original prescription.
Not looking forward to 30 plus mins a night spent in apnea!

Should i ring them up and ask why or am i going to rock the boat to much?

Regards

Buck
Post Reply Post Reply
It's pretty simple to let their settings go for a week then remind them they tripled your AHI and you feel like crap. At that point they either agree to change back to what you demonstrated will work, or you fire them.  It's damn inconvenient and kind of expensive, but you can get your own machine from Supplier #2 who ships internationally.

Just sayin' we know what happens for you at 4-14.  It's not pretty.  What does your "consultant" use as the basis for the prescription?  Wild ass guess?

[Image: gpCZiBd.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know that you are upset. With them you will have to play along. After all they know better ;-)

You need time on there settings, then you call them and basically say you are feeling like crap and your AHI is up. Or you can do as SleepRider has suggested.
Do you have a way of firing them?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2017, 11:28 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It's pretty simple to let their settings go for a week then remind them they tripled your AHI and you feel like crap. At that point they either agree to change back to what you demonstrated will work, or you fire them.  It's damn inconvenient and kind of expensive, but you can get your own machine from Supplier #2 who ships internationally.

It's funny i went upstairs and now the settings are 5-20 as agreed on the phone in accordance with the consultants blessing!  Smile

Wonder how that happened? if anybody from the clinic calls to say that you have changed the settings again my response will be simple.
I checked the machine and noticed that the pressure settings were 4-14 not the 5-20 we agreed , so i assumed there had been an oversite and changed them myself so they were as agreed!

Buck

p.s aeroplane mode would really rile them up!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I'm getting Dave's Sarcastic notes here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2017, 11:47 AM)bonjour Wrote: I think I'm getting Dave's Sarcastic notes here.

Hi Fred

It's a little different here in the UK , i am receiving my treatment through the NHS ( national health service ) which is not private. Had it been private you have more of a leg to stand on as it's your money directly.

Am thinking that maybe i put the settings back at 4-14 and then call them back with the rubbish SH data and then i can query why is the pressure set at 4-14 when we agreed 5-20

Would this be a better course of action rather than playing naughty boy games with the man!

Buck
Post Reply Post Reply
They set it, just question the numbers that you are getting. "I was getting better numbers and I was feeling better when I was naughty, why?"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 131 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 212 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 194 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 521 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 219 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 312 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 282 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.