Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie looking for help/opinions please!
Newbie looking for help/opinions please!
Hello everyone!

I have been reading lots on here over the last week or so but not as a signed up member! , i have now taken the plunge and am a few weeks into the whole CPAP deal. I have also just loaded sleepyhead onto my laptop and have imported the data from my SD memory card!. Not quite sure what to make of all the facts and figures but suffice to say that i am still feeling that my API per hour/night are to high and my total time in apnea seems to also be of concern.

Can anybody advise me how to get the data up on here so that it may be checked out by the brilliant members of this forum!

I'm still tired and not convinced that my set up is correct!

Many thanks in advance

Buck
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie looking for help/opinions please!
Welcome to the forum. Right off it appears your minimum pressure setting is too low. Most feel starved for air at 4cm of water. But let’s see some data first.

The best way is too use the image hosting service Imgur.  For complete instructions read  Posting SleepyHead Charts in 5 Easy Steps

In addition, minimize the calendar by clicking on the triangle (arrow) to the left of the date. Minimizing the calendar and eliminating the pie chart make more statistical data visible in the screen shot. You will need at least 4 posts before you can post data, or alternatively, insert a space in the link to the image.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2017, 02:54 PM)Melman Wrote: Welcome to the forum. Right off it appears your minimum pressure setting is too low. Most feel starved for air at 4cm of water. But let’s see some data first.

The best way is too use the image hosting service Imgur.  For complete instructions read  
In addition, minimize the calendar by clicking on the triangle (arrow) to the left of the date. Minimizing the calendar and eliminating the pie chart make more statistical data visible in the screen shot. You will need at least 4 posts before you can post data, or alternatively, insert a space in the link to the image.

Many thanks for the reply Melman!

I will get all you've advised sorted! thanks again

Buck
Post Reply Post Reply
I must admit to feeling a bit claustrophobic when i switch the machine on. It seems hard to breathe out against the mask and hose. I know that it ramps up when it believes that i am asleep!

I will try to get something up tonight , i will be off to sleep in a few hours though as its coming up to 21:30 here in the uk!
Post Reply Post Reply
I will try to get something up tonight , i will be off to sleep in a few hours though as its coming up to 21:30 here in the uk!

Sorry! just trying to make it easier and get to 4 posts for data posting purposes!  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't increase pressure just because you are asleep. It increases pressure when it detects an event such as an obstructive apnea. If you have trouble exhaling there is a setting called EPR that will reduce the pressure by 1-3 cm of water when you inhale. With a minimum pressure of 4 it's hard to understand why you should have trouble exhaling. It may just be a matter of adapting to being connecte4d to the machine. Be patient and you will get sound advice.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: gpCZiBd.png]

hope I've managed to do that right folks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

I'd set your pressure for 8-16, 4 is clearly too low and all your events are of an obstructive nature.  I expect that your pressure will be raised again, but want to see how you react to this setting.

Do you know how to change your settings?

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I concur at 8-16. If 8 seems too much to handle at start then you can use the ramp for as long as you think it takes you to fall asleep. I would say most of us eventually turn off ramp but you might find it comforting at the beginning of this journey. Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your progresss.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2017, 04:06 PM)bonjour Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

I'd set your pressure for 8-16, 4 is clearly too low and all your events are of an obstructive nature.  I expect that your pressure will be raised again, but want to see how you react to this setting.

Do you know how to change your settings?

Fred

Hi Fred

Thanks for your response! , in answer to your question i do not know how to change my settings! more importantly with me being in the uk and being monitored by an outpatient dept at a local hospital , will i risk a telling off if i have a dabble with my settings?

I know that they monitor my results from time to time and can make adjustments remotely (my upper pressure was 17 but they lowered it for some reason)

Would i be best contacting them or should i attempt an adjustment myself?

regards

Buck

Thanks Sonic! much appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 267 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.