Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie looking for help/opinions please!
RE: Newbie looking for help/opinions please!
Hi Methodicalfool

Thanks for the response and your raise an interesting point. I still feel tired and yawning loads so I might give one of these a try and see what feedback I get! What should your oxygen levels actually be per the norm?

Regards 

Buck
Post Reply Post Reply
Buck, your figures for 2 August don't look too bad at all, though there is still room for improvement. At this stage I think you should probably stick with the settings you have for at least a few nights - preferably a week or so - and see what trends develop. Changing pressures every day ("dial twiddling") doesn't give your body a chance to adapt to the new regime.

My guess is that your AHI will come down a bit over the week (and you'll likely feel more refreshed), but it's probably time to wait and see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Buck, did you ever try out the soft cervical collar suggestion? You have made great improvement with the increased pressure, but there are still some episodes of obstruction during the night. These can often be eliminated with
'positional therapy", mainly improving head/neck alignment to prevent obstructing the airway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2017, 09:07 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Buck, did you ever try out the soft cervical collar suggestion?  You have made great improvement with the increased pressure, but there are still some episodes of obstruction during the night.  These can often be eliminated with
'positional therapy", mainly improving head/neck alignment to prevent obstructing the airway.

Hi Sleeprider! 

Amazon have just confirmed dispatch of one foam collar! I should have it in a day or so and will give it a try and post the results!

I think it will deco help!

Regards 

Buck
Post Reply Post Reply
Doh!

I couldn't resit could i , thought i knew better! should have listened to deepbreathings advice!

Feel rubbish now today and my AHI has more than doubled , I'm hoping that its not due to my messing with the settings , but no doubt someone wiser than me can cast their eyes over last nights SH data and advise accordingly.

Many thanks in advance , oh i raised the upper pressure to 16 and the EPR to 2!

[Image: grlvR3l.png]

[img]blob:http://imgur.com/080d78c7-b2df-4162-ac00-d4ff73f865ec[/img][Image: jlhhBur.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Anybody there?
Post Reply Post Reply
Not anybody who feels qualified to comment, apparently... Thinking-about

Be patient!
Post Reply Post Reply
Go back and wait.

Here you have a correlation of your clusters with snore, leak, flow limit, and tidal volume. I suspect that this is when you are changing position thru the night.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
buck, you'll want to know that the exhale pressure is the more important value for knocking out OA (obstructive apneas).  When you switched to EPR of 2, you were selecting a lower exhale pressure.  it is not a real big deal, but you apparently felt the difference.  your median pressure rose by about 1, not surprising.  anyway, it felt strange to you one night, but you might get used to that setting and have better nights to come without changes.  we'll see.

if this were mine, with the wonderful, quick responding machine, I would bump my minimum pressure up - I would use the following formula:

minimum pressure - change to [median pressure - 2]  (11.6 - 2 = 9.6 cm)
maximum pressure - change to [95% pressure + 1]  (15.9 + 1 = 16.9 cm)

I think the foam collar will help.

I also think that your chart shows that the median EPAP stayed about 10 cm, even though EPR was off, then 1, and then 2.  That suggests you will need at least EPAP of 10 to eventually shed most of the apneas.

Good luck, and go slow!

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2017, 08:27 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: buck, you'll want to know that the exhale pressure is the more important value for knocking out OA (obstructive apneas).  When you switched to EPR of 2, you were selecting a lower exhale pressure.  it is not a real big deal, but you apparently felt the difference.  your median pressure rose by about 1, not surprising.  anyway, it felt strange to you one night, but you might get used to that setting and have better nights to come without changes.  we'll see.

if this were mine, with the wonderful, quick responding machine, I would bump my minimum pressure up - I would use the following formula:

minimum pressure - change to [median pressure - 2]  (11.6 - 2 = 9.6 cm)
maximum pressure - change to [95% pressure + 1]  (15.9 + 1 = 16.9 cm)

I think the foam collar will help.

I also think that your chart shows that the median EPAP stayed about 10 cm, even though EPR was off, then 1, and then 2.  That suggests you will need at least EPAP of 10 to eventually shed most of the apneas.

Good luck, and go slow!

QAL

Well that was horrendous! foam collar to small so velcro strap biting into neck , and pressure adjustments made and the SH data posted below has just played out. Went to bed feeling pretty tired and up for a good sleep and here i am awake at 02:30 GMT after 4 hours!

At my wits end at the moment , just had a quick look at my SH data when i had an AHI of 4.4 and my pressure settings were 8-15. Should i revert to those settings and head back to bed once feeling tired again or what???

Can somebody please help and advise where to go with this!

[Image: tx2DlDO.png]

[img]blob:http://imgur.com/86d0e3e0-1a16-42e8-a889-99763bcf58e7[/img]Another!

[Image: El1esis.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 384 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 132 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 484 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 297 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.