Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie looking for help/opinions please!
RE: Newbie looking for help/opinions please!
(08-17-2017, 09:18 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I forgot you're the one with the smart consultant that thinks one pressure works for all.  Your pressure requirement is high enough that you might even qualify for bilevel in the U.S.  Airplane mode will keep the meddlers from accessing your data, but you would eventually have to deal with them.  I see our medical system following the U.K. model, and I hope we can pull it back from the brink for fully social medicine.  Choice and individual rights matter.

Hi again folks , it's the human CPAP yo yo here!

Collar worn again and mask leak improved , however my AHI has gone up etc etc. Another bad night and i am getting slight leaks from time to time at the bridge of my nose. Quick question on mask adjustment guys , do you try to get the upper rubber portion that sits on the forehead as flat to the forehead as possible i.e top straps really pulled in and bottom to adjust?

Not convinced on the collar to as i have had excellent AHI scores on several nights when not wearing one.

Another thing that is confusing me is why is my median pressure stats continually going up more or less each day? also last night there was atleast 3 occasions when the upper pressure of 20 was not enough and the machine had reached it's limit!

So last night 50 apneas and 17 OSA plus 2 clear airways side sleeping with a collar on!

Please see my SH charts from last night and bestow me with your pearls of greatly appreciated wisdom.

Regards

Buck

[Image: QpcZ3Sw.png]

[Image: XQQncT8.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Any thoughts guys?

Regards

Buck
Post Reply Post Reply
The two things that I might try; 1. Raise your minimum pressure to 14cm, to be closer to a treatment pressure. and, 2. Avoid sleeping on your back.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2017, 03:12 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The two things that I might try; 1. Raise your minimum pressure to 14cm, to be closer to a treatment pressure. and, 2. Avoid sleeping on your back.

Hi Crimson

Can't tamper with the pressure settings! got told off by the sleep clinic and they refuse to raise my min pressure above 6 for some reason.
Had a chat with one of the nurses today and she thinks an AHI of 8.49 is "really good" , think i recall they deem anything under 10 as a success.

Not sure how much things differ between here and the US?

Oh and i'm a side sleeping only member!

Regards

Buck
Post Reply Post Reply
On this side of the pond, we would tell them to take a flying leep.  During the rental phase, if we are time compliant in its use, then we basically own that machine.    If you are a side sleeper then you might be experiencing "chin tuck".  You might look into obtaining a foam cervical collar.  Just make sure that it is large enough so it may be worn loosely.  The idea is to help maintain a proper posture and not for its normal therapeutic use.   It will also help in keeping your jaw from dropping while asleep.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2017, 03:46 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: On this side of the pond, we would tell them to take a flying leep.  During the rental phase, if we are time compliant in its use,  then we basically own that machine.    If you are a side sleeper then you might be experiencing "chin tuck".  You might look into obtaining a foam cervical collar.  Just make sure that it is large enough so it may be worn loosely.  The idea is to help maintain a proper posture and not for its normal therapeutic use.   It will also help in keeping your jaw from dropping while asleep.

Thanks Crimson

Already got myself a nice big foam collar and i find it restrictive , might try wearing it a bit looser tonight.

Regards

Buck
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings folks

Been plodding on as you do! , I've got a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. Why is it that i can get 7.75 hrs with an AHI of 4.4 (technically treated) with a low leak rate and I'm waking up feeling so tired initially. Proper stretching and yawning type tired stuff!

Is it because i'm sleeping better/deeper? i do feel better when driving and in the afternoons but can still get dozy at 8pm onwards.
Before anyone suggests any alterations to pressures etc i'd like to remind you that i'm barred by my NHS clinic from doing so!

Please see below for last nights SH data , i'm very interested in your thoughts! ultimately if I'm under 5 then I'm happy with that , my AHI stats do seem to fluctuate quite a bit though : 17/08/2017 8.49 18/08 3.35 19/08 4.72 20/08 7.97 21/08 12.00 22/08 4.68 23/08 6.60
24/08 4.51 

Maybe mask fit and stuff like time going to bed and alcohol all play a part in altering outcomes?

Anyhow have a gander my friends!

Regards

Buck

[Image: MbspNrq.png]

[Image: 0tLc9L0.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't understand why they won't raise your pressure. It's pretty clear you could raise it up to 13 cm and benefit from it. Maybe you should print out a few detailed data sheets from sleepyhead and let them look at it. Just an idea.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You will benefit from an increase in the EPR setting. In bilevel therapy, we use EPAP to treat OA and PS to reduce H. The problem is your caretakers are incompetent and don't see the CPAP machine as a bilevel capable device. Increasing EPR would require you to increase the pressure so your EPAP does not drop. Your current median pressure is 9.5. That should actually be your minimum pressure. If we add in EPR of 3, your EPAP will drop by 3 and you will have prolific OA, so that option is out as long as you have to listen to those dolts.

My recommendation is Mode Autoset, Minimum pressure 9.4, Maximum pressure 20, EPR 3 and airplane mode ON.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2017, 09:51 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You will benefit from an increase in the EPR setting.  In bilevel therapy, we use EPAP to treat OA and PS to reduce H.  The problem is your caretakers are incompetent and don't see the CPAP machine as a bilevel capable device.  Increasing EPR would require you to increase the pressure so your EPAP does not drop.  Your current median pressure is 9.5.  That should actually be your minimum pressure.    If we add in EPR of 3, your EPAP will drop by 3 and you will have prolific OA, so that option is out as long as you have to listen to those dolts.

My recommendation is Mode Autoset, Minimum pressure 9.4, Maximum pressure 20, EPR 3 and airplane mode ON.

Hi Sleeprider

Had a try last night! i can't see any improvement , if anything the stats went up slightly. Now how can i manipulate my SD stats that get sent to the clinic? i'd like to try another night with a EPR of 2 maybe and then i was thinking could i cut and paste the data from some other days to make it look like my usage over the weekend?

Let me know your thoughts! SH data from last night listed below.

Regards

Buck

[Image: Adyh7Er.png]

[img]blob:http://imgur.com/2bfa4ff1-2a89-41f4-a85d-1c3cef5de70c[/img]
[Image: yVjIMW3.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 273 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.