Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie needing advice
Newbie needing advice
Hello,

I started my Apap machine Friday before last, So this Friday will be 2 weeks. I have read a lot and still need to learn a lot. I figured out from reading that the machine I got will not help much in the way of adjustments for getting the best Therapy. I figured it out after I bought it which is the Resmed Airstart 10 Auto. I am still trying to figure out the right mask but so far believe it or not I like the Nasal Aire II with prongs, it did make the inside of my nose a little raw so used my Air fit F-20 until my nose heals and hopefully gets stronger. Ok so my questions for help are below.

1) Any suggestions on how my current machines data can help? 

2) Will anything help with inside of nose with the prongs? And will it eventually toughen up so it wont get raw? 

3) Will this machine help without all the data or do I really need to buy the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto?

4) Found some for half price on craigslist, Some say they are brand new, is there cheap knockoffs I need to worry about or how do you tell the difference?

I was getting AHI from like 3-4. -5.7 so I decided to put the start to 6 instead of 4,  it dropped my AHI to anywhere from .07 - 2.2. Although I only really had the machine about 11 days 3 of those days I have noticed I felt a little better. I know I am still waking up once or twice a night with mask leak, dry mouth, going to try chin strap. I like the part where it lets you breathe out so its set on 3 (what ever its called) I am a big weenie. I dont like using it but determined to stick with it because I know I need it and it will really help. Intial settings where I believe 5-20cm. I have my humidity on 7 and long as I can keep my mouth shut it works well. I start at 3 then went up one number each night until I got to 7

Thanks and be easy on me first post Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie needing advice
AirStart machines are what we call a Brick.  They do NOT record detailed efficacy data.  They are fine as a backup machine to be used when your primary machine is out for repair.

The Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet or Autoset for Her are among the best of the Auto CPAP machines.

Read the contents of the links in my signature to expand your knowledge.

ResMed P10 Pillows will sit on the outside of your nose and not go in the nose when sized correctly.

While the AirStart can be used the primary indicator will be "How do you feel?"  and nightly average numbers  vs. hard breath by breath data that you get from the AutoSet machines.

You statement "I was getting AHI from like 3-4. -5.7 so I decided to put the start to 6 instead of 4,  it dropped my AHI to anywhere from .07 - 2.2. Although I only really had the machine about 11 days 3 of those days I have noticed I felt a little better."  is what I'm talking about above.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the info Fred, I will read the info links in your signature, Believe it or not the reason I got the prongs to go in the nose is instead of pilows is because I have a deviate septum on one side of my nose and it keeps it open better...wierd I know but I think it helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2017, 09:47 PM)offshorecca Wrote: Thank you for the info Fred, I will read the info links in your signature, Believe it or not the reason I got the prongs to go in the nose is instead of pilows is because I have a deviate septum on one side of my nose and it keeps it open better...wierd I know but I think it helps.

That is exactly why you have to TRY masks.  We are all different.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi offshorecca,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Get some HPA Lanolin cream; that should help with your soar nostrils. Jus dab a bit on a cotton swab and rub it in your nostrils and a little gose a long ways. You will find the lanolin cream in most stores in the baby isle.
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 15 263 46 minutes ago
Last Post: iamJB
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 857 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,790 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.