Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie ready for guru input
Cool 
Newbie ready for guru input
Hi everyone, another newbie to the forum, even if I've posted a few replies onto other threads.

1 week ago, my DME assigned me the insurance rental for my BiPAP therapy. After reading several threads here, I'm rather surprised I've gotten as good a machine without asking as I did. I've got the Respironics DreamStation Auto BiPAP and the Amara View mask. I'm not questioning mask choice, as I really like it's comfort.

I'll need to post some data for guru input later today, and I'll be referring to proper Sleepyhead info setup so it shows up in a correct format. I do know my numbers aren't great, as I'm still having trouble getting used to USING my BiPAP, to me that literally means just using it. This BiPAP is easy enough to use and I can breathe out which I couldn't on a CPAP. I'm a higher pressure setting person due to high apnea count, but it's gone down from the first sleep study 2 years ago.

Yes, I've had a recent sleep study as well, which got the script for the BiPAP, IPAP of 15, EPAP of 10, whereas the prior setup on a CPAP would have been 20, but the DME set it for 18. My only change between the past 2 years is about a 100 pound weight loss from bariatric sleeve surgery.

Adding this via edit: Should I consider asking to exchange the DreamStation for the ResMed equivalent? I read the ResMed is supposed to be even better than the DreamStation at modifying therapy pressures if memory is working right.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie ready for guru input
Hi SarcasticDave94,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I’ll let others chime in with suggestions on your bi-level machine but I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy and also with getting your settings optimized to better meet your needs.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I'm going to choose what's best with the advice here. Best to all.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. I'm not one of the gurus but I'm sure they will be interested in seeing the results of your sleep study as well as SleepyHead data.

It sounds like you may have already found info on how to organize and post your data but just in case you haven't, see the links below.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome SarcasticDave94

You said: "I've had a recent sleep study as well, which got the script for the BiPAP, IPAP of 15, EPAP of 10"
That sounds like a prescription pressure for a non-auto biPAP. So, first, let's check to make sure which machine you have; AND, if Auto, is it actually set to Auto mode. You might request the clinician's manual and go into the settings and just write them down.

As for the ResMed Vauto machines (BiPAP AUTO), they are more forgiving of having the pressure limits farther from the therapeutic window. That's primarily due to ResMed's algorithm being more aggressive to raise pressure. The PR machines can do the job, they just need to be dialed in closer on the minimum EPAP pressure.

BTW -- congrats on the weight loss.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both, I get to claim being
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both, I get to claim for once being 1 step ahead of you. I have read the Sleepyhead post regarding configuring the info to make a nice screenshot and also how to enter my BiPap setup area. I have worked on the Sleepyhead setup, but I seem to be missing the graph labeled "Flow Limit". I have not yet entered into the unit's setup screens though.

As for my BiPap, it is a DreamStation Auto BiPap with a model number from the bottom sticker of DSX700H11C. It is running 1.1.1 firmware BTW, and doesn't have prior firmware dimming issues reported elsewhere. My data is looking bad, but that may be due to me as of yet getting a full, or even 4 hours actual sleep with this setup. It's not the mask's fault as I think the Amara View is more than acceptable for me comfort-wise. I just am having difficulty using the BiPap. At least it's improved over my prior CPAP where I couldn't adjust to it's setting of 18. I wasn't able to breathe out with that one.

Sleepyhead screenshot being posted ASAP, but like I said I'm not sure if it's got helpful info due to my lack of time while doing a whole night's sleep. It has hours of using, but I have been getting up to use the bathroom after falling asleep after only 2 hours for several night's in a row now.

BTW: I stopped at the place where I did my recent sleep study. WOW there is some info, but I guessed there'd be more to it. In my sketchy form below:

sleep lab monitor time 465 min.
monitored EEG, EOG, EMG, nasal flow, chest & abdominal wall movement, continuous EKG & pulse oximetry
sleep latency 23 min
sleep efficiency 74%
prior sleep study had doc state CPAP pressure of 18
patient states CPAP intolerance :/
current pressure for BiPap is 15/10 as "we were able to eliminate most of the obstructive events"
significant central apnea "which also improved significantly with final pressure"
no more cardiac arrythmias
"snoring was uncontrolled"
"oxygenation also improved"

Thanks to all.

PS...hindsight has kicked in and is wishing I had the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for some crazy reason...
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, the really neat thing about your auto BiPAP is both an auto algorithm for EPAP and pressure support. The max IPAP is just a placeholder and won't play much part. The thing is, you can get much better therapy using the auto functions that the ridiculous high EPAP and pressure support of your prescription. Once we take a look at your results, I think it will be very easy to suggest some options to increase comfort and efficacy. You aren't going to believe what this thing can deliver when done right...welcome, and looking forward to helping you get dialed in.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I'll get that Sleepyhead report out. Thanks in advance.

PS I'm going to access the setup area to view what they set my machine for. I will report findings.
Post Reply Post Reply
I warned ya, I did try to configure the report right but I could not find on my report the FLOW LIMIT graph. Everything else should be as the directions suggested.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 619 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 476 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.