Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie seek help with adjusting settings after 1 month
Newbie seek help with adjusting settings after 1 month
Hi All

Newbie here 

I have been using my Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet with humidifier for about a month, and it has helped my allot, i am no longer as tired as i used to be and no longer feel like i want to fall asleep by 10H30 in the morning and after lunch.

I am using the Airsense n20 nasal mask, and initially i had allot of problems with stuffy nose \ sinus as soon as i start using the mask, but i solved that and now take a nasal spray just before bed so that is solved now.

The only problem i have is my lungs feel burnt, sort of like when you ran a long distance and your lungs are on fire. I live in Thailand where it is very humid all the time and i have set the humidifier to 5, but after 2nights it went back to 4. I noticed that it is using up allot of water from the humidifier reservoir each nite and i need to refill then tank at least 1's a week.

My main concern is the burning lungs and a bloating chest feeling  - seems that it is pumping to much air into my lungs.

I am not sure what the correct settings should be i was hoping the auto set will do its job and set all

Attached some my stats, if i could get some advise on any adjustments recommended.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie seek help with adjusting settings after 1 month
Please read the tutorial on Organizing Your Oscar Chart in my signature links. We want a Daily Details screenshot with the statistics in the left Daily Sidebar column. That is where the information on settings and respiratory statistics reside.

Looking at your chart, it appears that your minimum pressure is 6.0 and maximum pressure 20.0, and EPR is on a fairly low setting. The pressure is rising on flow limitations, so to reduce those you must increase EPR to 3. I'm gong to suggest a minimum pressure of 9.0, Maximum 14.0 with EPR at 3. You can turn humidity down to 3 or 4. We can lower your maximum pressure, increase EPR and give you much more comfort able sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for your suggestion.
I have reorganised that chart as per the instructions, and attach for you the screnshot, let me know if your original recomendation for the settings are still the same after seeing the newly organised chart.

Many thanks for this great service

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I'll stick with those settings but will bump the maximum to 16 rather than 14. Minimum 9.0, maximum 16.0 EPR 3. You will hit the maximum pressure, but I don't think it is going to significantly increase your event rate. You do need to deal with the leaks as well. Read the mask primer, also in my signature links.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
About the sensations in your chest and lungs: exhaling against pressure may be engaging some muscles you're not used to using, and this can cause some soreness. It should wear off as you adapt to treatment.

Don't worry that the machine is pumping too much air into you. A pressure unit of 1 is the amount of pressure required to raise the level in a column of water by 1 centimeter (about .4 inches).
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2021, 01:56 PM)Dormeo Wrote: About the sensations in your chest and lungs: exhaling against pressure may be engaging some muscles you're not used to using, and this can cause some soreness.  It should wear off as you adapt to treatment.  

Don't worry that the machine is pumping too much air into you.  A pressure unit of 1 is the amount of pressure required to raise the level in a column of water by 1 centimeter (about .4 inches).

Thank you for the advise
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2021, 08:35 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Please read the tutorial on Organizing Your Oscar Chart in my signature links. We want a Daily Details screenshot with the statistics in the left Daily Sidebar column. That is where the information on settings and respiratory statistics reside.

Looking at your chart, it appears that your minimum pressure is 6.0 and maximum pressure 20.0, and EPR is on a fairly low setting. The pressure is rising on flow limitations, so to reduce those you must increase EPR to 3.  I'm gong to suggest a minimum pressure of 9.0, Maximum 14.0 with EPR at 3.  You can turn humidity down to 3 or 4.  We can lower your maximum pressure, increase EPR and give you much more comfort able sleep.
.Thank you for the setting recommendation - it worked well with the lower max, but i felt the min of 9 was a little too much for me when i just put the mask on, so i have lowered it down from 9 to 7, and that seems to work better for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have left off the left column which gives a lot of information. When you have the screen up use F12 to take the screenshot. It formats is correctly and make it easier to tell what is happening. 

T be can’t see the settings (left column) but I expect your settings are:
Max 20
Min 4
EPR ?

I would suggest 
Max 20
Min 7
EPR 3

You have a of flow limits. Flow limits are just smaller apnea and they can hurt your quality of your sleep. You help reduce these with RPR. your (all) machines have the lowest settings you can go is 4. If your min is at 4 the EPR (exhale pressure relief) can not work. EPR reduces your min pressure by the EPR to make it easier to exhale. 

If I did not guess your settings, sorry - they are in the left column.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 163 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 396 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 316 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 155 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.