Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie to CPAP Therapy
RE: Newbie to CPAP Therapy
Your change to EPR 3 did NOTHING... Let me explain - the absolute lowest your machine can go is 4, your min is 5.   EPR subtracts like this Min - EPR = exhale pressure.  So yours 5-3 the machine can not go down to 2 so your exhale pressure pressure was 4.

I suggested min 8 and EPR 3 Which would  be min8-epr3 = exhale of 5.  It is important because the EPR is what we use to lessen the flow limits - you need to move the min up to 8.

Then we  can see if it is helping or not.  And the collar would be a help on the positional apnea.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello All,

I was able to keep the AHI <3 most of the time these three months, but this week it was terrible. I get 6-7 almost every day this week.

The only change is I'm having an bad sore throat pain with a prickly feeling and sinus allergies. I got checked with my doctor told & he has prescribed some antibiotic.

I'm a mouth breather since I have a severe deviated septum as well. So basically my throat is always dry. Does throat infection makes the apnea worst? Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply
Infection itself no. Inflammation/swelling from the infection yes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm puzzled. In August, Stacey suggested min of 8. The chart you posted today has min of 10.6. Why so high?

Glad to hear the collar is helping. Be aware there are different styles and heights. Some experimentation may be worthwhile if you are still uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's try increasing your min pressure to 12 for now lowering it back down when your throat feels better.

Thoughts. Your OA clusters are indicative of a positional apnea but not in your case this time. Not bad enough to insist on a collar but on a watch. Not this time. Your history implies the cause is your sore throat and not position, I could be wrong. For this reason I want to try a higher min pressure to see if that impacts your apnea and or throat. Bring the pressure back down when the throat feels better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank everyone for the inputs, I was back to normal after my sore throat but this week numbers are not very promising.

I feel its time to change the collar and try it out. The reason I increased my pressure to 10 is I had very few events with that settings.

Also I slept from 23:45 to 4:00 am last night but in the Oscar , I see till 4:40 am . Not able to follow how ? 

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello folks,

This is my first year of CPAP use in allergy season. I'm very allergic to pollen and medications helps a bit, but most of the time I feel terrible.

For the last one week, my events skyrocketed and I'm getting day time tiredness as well after many months. I always used to have 2-4 AHI but now its uncontrollable.

Is this common for CPAP users during allergy season? Do I need to talk to my sleep doctor about this? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. TIA

Post Reply Post Reply
Your charts are saying positional apnea. Pressure will not fix this. Straightening your neck will. Read about the soft cervical collar wiki referenced in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply, I'm using cervical collar and Brough down my events to 2-3 couple of months back and been doing it.

Even when I did not use the cervical collar, I used to get OSA but nothing more than 4-5 AHI . 

But currently I use a cervical collar, but I get a lot of Hyponea and RERA events this past week & day time tiredness. Only aspect that changed from previous month are the allergies. That's why thought it is related to allergies.

Should I go check out an ENT just to evaluate any other factors?
Post Reply Post Reply
Try treating your allergies more aggressively. I know Flonase is common
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 58 892 6 minutes ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 68 1,277 10 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 585 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 485 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 551 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 815 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
  OviBerger - AC11 Therapy OviBerger 3 105 04-09-2024, 09:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.