Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newly Diagnosed with Severe SA - Is this normal?
Newly Diagnosed with Severe SA - Is this normal?
Hi There,

I got my sleep study done, and have been diagnosed with severe Sleep Apnea, Average of 75 Apneas an hour, oxygen saturation down to average of 82%. I am only 43 years old but overweight 125kgs.

My initial diagnosis was one of relief and also sadness. I feel relief that I can pursue treatment and sort out this chronic tiredness and then I am going to tackle the weight. However I feel sad, ashamed and guilty that I have allowed myself to get this over weight and have this illness where I will need to wear a mask to sleep in for years to come or probably forever. Does anyone else feel similar emotions to this?

Anyway I have got myself a CPAP trial - Dreamstation Auto 10, with SD card.  From the first five days data I have got my  AHI at an average of 2.3, which seems positive, I am on a ramp pressure of 8.0 H20 and the range is upto 18.0.  The My dreammapper data is quite limited, I was hoping for more in depth stats, so I am going to get myself an Oximeter to measure oxygen saturation.  Is there any more data I can get or you recommend? The Dreamstation seems good but I wondered if other CPAPs had better data?

I have found the key is making sure I do not go onto my back so I have a hard roller in the bed to stop me rolling over, but this uncomfortable. Any other tips people use to stop you going onto your back?

I have noticed my windpipe/ throat feels tight in the day, I wondered if anyone else feels that after the CPAP, I am putting it down to get used to it.

Thanks for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly Diagnosed with Severe SA - Is this normal?
Welcome

Since you have a SD card you should download sleepyhead  https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./ . It will provided you with a lot more info.

With your ahi down to 2.3 you are on the right track. If you can post some sleepyhead data here the good people more knowledgeable then I can help you.
If you have a chance to trail other machines you might like to try a ResMed A10 Series 10 AutoSet.

I can understand your concern with your weight. I'm heavier then you and also a fair bit older. It won't get any easier to lose weight as you age.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thats great, thanks for your welcome and tips.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mate, do try not to beat yourself up about having let yourself go, weightwise.  It changes nothing and will also contribute to a lower likelihood of succeeding long-term.

I'm a naturally lanky gal, however between thyroid issues with Hashimoto's and all its inflammatory goodness, a long-term smoking habit (40 years, but haven't had one for over 5 years now), poor diet choices (because I used to be skinny and would eat all sorts of junk because I could), plus sleep apnoea which has probably been present long before I welcomed a spare 30 kilos into my life, I'm comfortable enough in my own skin to not be too self-critical about my weight, despite not having lost any since starting pretty arduous twice-a-week padwork training ten months ago. Luckily I was a lot fitter than I could have been to start with.

I'm ok with it because at my age, nothing will happen quickly, and the one thing that's kept me going is that knowledge, and that all the changes I've made for myself (not smoking, training, the whole thryoid thing, and now CPAP) are all permanent parts of my life which will have to be stuck at forever.  The sooner I realised that, the sooner I came to terms with the massive changes in my life and the very real possibility of continuing with a really good future for the duration if I stick to the things which will bring change.  Despite all that, life is indeed very very good. 

You have a head-start on me in terms of making things happen. My biggest health problems began at about your age.  Things slow down quite a lot in the years after that, so you're in a better position to start fixing things right now than you'll ever be.  The harder it is, the harder the motivation is to maintain. A good part of that is being kind to yourself in the process of all the slow, hard physical and mental work. 

Little steps are better than no steps.  

When you get the CPAP thing sorted, it will be a massive box already ticked, so take heart.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tired OZ Wrote:I have found the key is making sure I do not go onto my back so I have a hard roller in the bed to stop me rolling over, but this uncomfortable. Any other tips people use to stop you going onto your back?

To keep yourself from rolling onto your back: try folding a dense blanket into a thick rectangle and place it behind your back while sleeping on your side. If it is solid enough, it will stay in place and you may roll against it, but it will prevent you from rolling entirely onto your back.

Quote:My initial diagnosis was one of relief and also sadness. I feel relief that I can pursue treatment and sort out this chronic tiredness and then I am going to tackle the weight. However I feel sad, ashamed and guilty that I have allowed myself to get this over weight and have this illness where I will need to wear a mask to sleep in for years to come or probably forever. Does anyone else feel similar emotions to this?

I can relate. My health problems/fatigue started in my 30's and it has taken far too many years to get properly diagnosed and begin treatment. The only sadness I feel is due to the lost years of productive life. The problems I've been attributing to getting older - short term memory issues, not enough stamina to cook or clean or anything else, inability to lose weight - were actually due to severe sleep apnea. Lo and behold my energy is coming back, and I'm beginning to function like I used to; I can think again and my memory is perfectly fine. I look forward to wearing my mask each night because I'm completely addicted to the energy I have when I wake up each morning.

Try to let go of the guilt and shame. Just let it go, like dropping a pencil. Otherwise it will cost you precious time that is better spent enjoying your new-found energy. Trust me, the only thing worse than starting xPAP at 43 is to start it at 60. Try this: Imagine that you are 60, tired and slow and decrepit, and you've been given a chance to time travel back 20 years for a 'do-over'. Then celebrate! Because that is where you are: you're 43 and you've been given the means to live a really good life from here on out.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have plenty of you upside-down folks around here that can help you navigate the oz medical system for Sleep Apnea.  FOr now download Sleepyhead and upload your daily charts and we can advise you on what to change or give you talking points fo talking to your doctor.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tired OZ,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with CPAP therapy and try not to beat up on yourself about your weight issues.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been thick and thin. Through it all, I have felt tired and sleepless. So don't feel bad about it, just get the SA treated and move forward. Good Luck to you and if you need help just ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2017, 01:22 AM)Tired OZ Wrote: Anyway I have got myself a CPAP trial - Dreamstation Auto 10, with SD card.  From the first five days data I have got my  AHI at an average of 2.3, which seems positive, I am on a ramp pressure of 8.0 H20 and the range is upto 18.0.  The My dreammapper data is quite limited, I was hoping for more in depth stats, so I am going to get myself an Oximeter to measure oxygen saturation.  Is there any more data I can get or you recommend? The Dreamstation seems good but I wondered if other CPAPs had better data?

Your apnea is being successfully treated. As said, download sleepyhead and get a chart up for fine tuning.
I would buy a resmed 10 autoset (my preference) or the auto dreamstation from US amazon, both for around USD500. You may need a reshipper, as some sellers only supply to the us market
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 690 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
Sad cause severe brain fog and unbearable headaches use cpap jiyun 1 105 04-09-2024, 08:26 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Diagnosis] Cheyne Stokes Respiration & Severe OSA Keymom0122 2 88 04-08-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Keymom0122
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 103 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 288 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 449 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 749 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.