Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newly Diagnosed.
Newly Diagnosed.
Hello, Friends I just took my sleep test. Thursday Night. That was 10/18/18. I saw a sleep doc who wanted me to do the full lab sleep test. I went to bed Like a normal night and was woken up in the middle of the night. Was told that I stopped breathing 40x in 1hr. So they said I had to do whats called a split test where they made me wear a cpap. It was the nasal one. So after the test the threw all this info at me DME companies and that I should hear something in a few days. So I spoke with my insurance company and found one. I called the sleep doctors office gave them the fax number for that company. I was told they would call me today maybe. I saw this and thought this would be a good place to learn from other veterans about pros and cons. I have no clue the pressure they will have me on or what mask I should choose. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I will be a new cpap owner asap
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly Diagnosed.
Welcome to the forum. Adapting to CPAP therapy is usually challenging and we are here to help you.
The most important choice will be the machine. You want a fully data capable auto-titrating machine such as the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  That is generally regarded as the best choice. DMEs get the same insurance payment for that machine as for much more basic and inexpensive machines that are much less capable and desirable. The cost to you is the same but the DME profits by providing the less capable machine.

Choosing the mask can be difficult. The DME should allow you to try different masks with pressure to help you find one that is comfortable and doesn't leak.

Once you have the machine you will be able to use free Sleepyhead software to look at data and post it in the forum. See the links below for downloading and using Sleepyhead. Once you are up and running you will be able to post data here and get good advice on how to optimize your therapy.

Be sure to get a complete copy of the results of your sleep study and your prescription. You are legally entitled to both and they will be valuable down the road.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for you reply. I have been having issues health wise for awhile. It just got aggressively worse. They have me down as having obstructive sleep apnea.  I will be sure to take everyone's advice. Mainly because I'm a newbie. I know when I had the CPAP on during my sleep test I could tell a difference its just so stressful it seems to even get the machine. They just start throwing all these papers and things your way.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are doing all the right things...it seems to me.  You are here looking for help and information, you have submitted to the polysomnography at the sleep lab, you have accepted that you have severe sleep apnea (as have I), and you are dealing with all the paperwork and new agencies you've never heard of.  It's something we all do.  Trust the good folks initially that they have your best interests in mind.  As you get more used to the idea and novelty of having sleep apnea and equipment to treat it, we can all help you to adjust and maybe even to improve your treatment...all with your understanding and agreement.  Nobody here will tell you, even advise you, what to do.  We'll tell you what worked for us, including changes, and why we undertook those changes.  We'll tell you where we ended up and how we feel about it months later.

Baby steps.  It's all good. You'll get through this.  WE'LL get you through this.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks For your reply. Just a lot to do to get the cpap in hand. I will keep all these things in mind as I read and explore.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 713 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 113 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 510 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 339 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 512 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,886 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 431 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.