Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Not Able To Sleep At All
Sad 
Not Able To Sleep At All
Hello, so I am a new CPAP user. I was told I have moderate sleep apnea and I have had my machine for almost 2 weeks.

In these 2 weeks, I have fallen asleep maybe once or twice for a very short time (I could only tell I fell asleep because of pressure changes.) Otherwise, I am not sleeping at all. I am really trying to give it a chance, but usually by 6-8am I take it off in order to get at least some sleep. I am lucky that I am doing this while I am unable to work. 

Really struggling. Does anyone have suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not Able To Sleep At All
Can you be more specific about what is causing your discomfort? Pressure, leaks, claustrophobia, irritation from the mask......? We would like to help ypu but will need more information. The only suggestion I can make now is to wear the mask and run the machine while awake reading or watching TV to become more accustomed to it.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not Able To Sleep At All
More details will help. It is likely to get better. I am new to this as well (3.5 weeks). 1st 3 nights were very strange and only short periods of sleep. As suggested, practice while awake. If tired during day, try it for a nap. Don't go to bed until you are really tired so perhaps easier to ignore the apparatus and fall asleep. Certainly seems fine to me to take things off within 2 hours if you have not fallen asleep so that you are not associating therapy and equipment with being sleepless, also important to get > 4 hours of sleep at night so you can function.

For me getting right humidity setting helped a lot so I didn't have such a dry mouth. Reading success stories here was motivating and none of them slept like a baby from the get go.

Hang in there, it will get better, and people on this forum are very knowledgeable and helpful so you are in good hands that will guide you through the process.

While I haven't done it, my son suggested that I consider a time release melatonin supplement to make getting to sleep and staying asleep easier.
For me, it is all starting to feel like 2nd nature, and more important is that I have alot more energy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 159 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 203 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,359 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,199 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.