Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Not sure my CPAP is doing any good
RE: Not sure my CPAP is doing any good
Resmed incorrectly calls periodic breathing, "CSR". I would worry about it.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2023, 03:51 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Resmed incorrectly calls periodic breathing, "CSR".  I would worry about it.

- Red

Did you mean NOT worry about it?
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m guessing he meant you shouldn’t worry. But given your first diagnosis of CHF, I’d follow Gideon’s advice and share what he specified with your doctor.

Do you have the option of seeing a different cardiologist? Your current one sounds unsatisfactory. Can your primary care physician refer you to someone else?
Post Reply Post Reply
Possibly but if it's not really CSR and only 'period breathing' does it matter? What can be done about it even if it is CSR? Doesn't sound like there really is a 'cure' or treatment for it out there but maybe I misread.
Post Reply Post Reply
Typically CHF ( Congestive Heart Failure) will cause Cheyne Stokes Respiration (CSR) .  
There is nothing we can do with a PAP other than manage your apnea.

So that is what we will do.  Ok?

Step 1: increasing Peep values to improve oxygenation.  We do this by increasing the exhale pressure.  The fluid on the lungs you mentioned implies you have some need.  So two things to do this, I'll summarize later.  Increase min pressure to 7 and reduce EPR to 2

Step 2: reduce central apnea.  The most effective method of this is typically to reduce EPR so set EPR=2.  Note that this will likely increase obstructive events so we will watch for that.

Step 3:. Turn Ramp off.  Your pressures are low so you should not need the ramp.  Also be aware that events that occur during the ramp are neither treated nor reported.  

Step 4: this is optional, increase max pressure.  You are barely touching the max but all in all you are very well managed meaning you have suppressed the events that would have resulted in uncontrolled pressure increases.  Mine is set to the machines max and I never approach it.  Consider at least 15.

In summary

Set min Press=7

Set EPR=2

Set Ramp=Off

Set Max Pressure=15 (optional)
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is last nights data. I tried the EPR 2 while reading before bed but it was giving me a headache so I put it back to 3. All the other changes were in place, no ramp, 7-15 pressure range. The first couple of OSAs were me holding my breath while getting settled in. The first 'real' one was just before 3 AM and the pressure responded to about 9.  

Around 4 AM some mostly period breathing started until 4:43 and then a series of OSAs brought the pressure up to 12.4 and woke me up. I get woken up every night around this time but it seemed maybe a bit later than normal. My mask was also leaking pretty well at the same time. I was afraid the nasal cushion wouldn't handle the pressure well, it's far more comfortable to me than the pillows which make my sinuses feel weird. (The EPR 2 was also causing the same sinus affect along with the mild headache.)

I had trouble falling asleep after my 5 AM nature call which was odd, tossed and turned and I think I ended up on my back but I did get another good 90 minutes of sleep until the final 30 minutes where I racked up almost all of the events for the night. Need another post to show that data.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If not for the final 30 minutes I would have had a pretty good night, any idea why things took such a turn for the worse at the end? Three OSAs drove the pressure up to 10.5 but then the machine decided the rest were all CSAs.

Is the leak rate in the same units as the pressure? Is it saying almost all the pressure is being leaked out?

EDIT: I just discovered the oximetry import feature of OSCAR but I see that it does not accept a CSV from O2 ring, is there any chance support could be added for that?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2023, 09:38 AM)wayneb64 Wrote: EDIT: I just discovered the oximetry import feature of OSCAR but I see that it does not accept a CSV from O2 ring, is there any chance support could be added for that?

OSCAR will import the binary file. If you are using iOS then just export the binary file to your computer and import it into OSCAR. Android seems to be a little more involved but it can be done.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an Android phone and I can plug the O2 Ring into my PCs USB to use it's PC application to read the data, will the device scan in OSCAR see my USB attached O2 ring?

Is there a guide somewhere on how to do this?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2023, 12:06 PM)wayneb64 Wrote: Is there a guide somewhere on how to do this?
Thanks

See if this helps.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ile_Import
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Mini good - Resmed 11 not good r2davis3 0 13 48 minutes ago
Last Post: r2davis3
  Good cervical collar for large (20 inch) necks Fox66 2 68 04-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Is my 95% pressure stat good or...? Hone 7 218 04-20-2024, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 6 117 04-20-2024, 03:42 AM
Last Post: erouting
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 216 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 159 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 795 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.