Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] OA Events preceded by flow spike
OA Events preceded by flow spike
I was looking at the data for the last few nights. I notice that most of my OA events are preceded by a large spike in the flow rate. So I am curious what that is. Is that like a gasp followed by not breathing for a while? I would think if there was an apnea starting it would be preceded by a decline in flow as the blockage set in. It looks more like a gasp followed by holding by breath.

Attached is a zoomed in view of one of my typical OA events

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OA Events preceded by flow spike
That's an interesting observation. I do not have the same patterns with my OA's. Generally my flow rate curve starts having a lower amplitude, like a hypopnea, but then I stop breathing.

Do any of the other graphs reveal anything interesting happening right before the OA? Since your pressure was steadily increasing before the OA, I'm wondering if you were snoring, and that was that last loud snore right before the airway closes. That seems to be a common pattern for those with that cycle of snore followed by an OA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rhodesengr,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more help with your graphs. and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You may be holding your breath. There is a large inhale and no exhalation, on the graph during the OA event, then a second inhale and normal breathing. I would 'guess' you may have exhaled through your mouth, registering an OA. Could be a dream or a yawn, but I doubt you experienced much, if any desaturation. there is just a bit of recovery breathing.

Is this typical, or a one-off?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2016, 07:50 PM)Possum Wrote: Since your pressure was steadily increasing before the OA,

well it looks that way on the zoomed-in timescale but that pressure change is just one of the random pressure test pulses the PR560 puts out. It is not due to anything going on with my breathing. I asked about these pressure spikes elsewhere and was informed that PR machines just do that, i.e. they randomly poke you with a pressure pulse. If you look at the zoomed out graph, there are many of them throughout the night.

There may be other graphs of interest but I think they show the same thing. For example, there is a big spike on Tidal Volume showing a lot of air going in and slowly going down. So that also looks like a gasp before an OA.

(02-02-2016, 08:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Is this typical, or a one-off?

typical of pretty much all my OA events. The spike varies some and I generally only have about 3 per night but I'd say the one I posted is pretty much like almost all of the others over various nights.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would guess that you took a large breath and then tossed and turned in bed and it took you 10+ seconds to settle in the new position. And the machine duly noted this as apnea.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 5 51 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 238 33 minutes ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 351 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.