Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP/OSA and caretakers
CPAP/OSA and caretakers
Anyone here a caretaker for someone on CPAP - a caretaker that is NOT a CPAP/OSA patient?

I'm wondering how much trouble it is for a non-patient to learn how to properly setup, configure, adjust, clean, and otherwise maintain a CPAP and mask when they aren't the ones using it?

I know as a patient, I can tell when something needs adjusting or replacing, but if the patient isn't able to either communicate or otherwise make those decisions himself or herself how well or how easy is it for a caretaker to learn that?

And by "caretaker", I'm mostly meaning "spouse".
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP/OSA and caretakers
I don't think it would be hard with the help of this board and the use of sleepyhead.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
If the caretaker is not computer savvy then it can be very difficult. The best you can hope for is that they get the mask on every night and can minimize leaks. As far as optimizing therapy that would require a computer savvy person who cares enough to look at the data from the machine and use a forum like this one for advice.

In the case of the elderly couple I know there is no cleaning, updating of supplies, or monitoring of therapy by the primary caretaker.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2018, 07:43 AM)foxfire Wrote: If the caretaker is not computer savvy then it can be very difficult. The best you can hope for is that they get the mask on every night and can minimize leaks. As far as optimizing therapy that would require a computer savvy person who cares enough to look at the data from the machine and use a forum like this one for advice.

In the case of the elderly couple I know there is no cleaning, updating of supplies, or monitoring of therapy by the primary caretaker.

This is what I was thinking might happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife started CPAP a few months ago. I was worried about her breathing at night, so when she first started talking about getting a sleep study, I really encouraging and researched the treatment options, equipment, etc.

I am SOOOO thankful for this board.

My role is equipment manager. I told her "if you'll make the commitment to wear it every night, I'll handle all the cleaning and maintenance and look into any problems you might have". Kinda like how pro athletes just walk into the locker room and their stuff is ready to go for the game each night...that's my job.

When issues come up, she lets me know and I look it into it. Her first mask is the Amara View, which is 95% problem-free but it sometimes leaks on her and was inquiring about a different mask. So by reading reviews and boards like this, I was able to quickly order her a second mask (AirTouch F20 for her) which works out great too--she kinda alternates between the two--she says each has its pros and cons.

The masks and machines are a lot quieter than I thought, her voice isn't very muffled when she talks (we get her all settled in and chat for a bit before she goes to sleep) and she loves the SnuggleHoses I bought her--much less medical looking and they are really comfortable for her. I wash her mask and frame every day in baby shampoo or wipe down with CPAP wipes, and once a week wash her hose/Amara View flex hose/mask frame/headgear. That takes about 30 minutes, but the daily cleaning = 5 minutes or so. Clean the filters/humidifier water tray once a week. Change filters out once a month.

After 3 months she's finally getting used to her gear, she gets in 4-6 hours a night and her AHI is 2-4 every night. I'm not sure how much she enjoys wearing it, but she is seeing some benefit finally--less foggy, a little more energy. I keep hearing about there's a point where one day to the next you go from dreading wearing it to can't sleep without it. I think she's slowly getting there. I tried her mask for about 5 minutes one day to see what she goes through each night (a suggestion I saw on an apnea tips webpage) and I admire everyone that commits to the therapy. It wasn't bad for 5 minutes but I could see it definitely getting some used to when having to wear it all night. And who knows, I may be on CPAP one day myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, pinetree, for that info.
Post Reply Post Reply
It should be easy for someone to pick up the cleaning and looking after the equipment.
One shown it is simple enough, as for adjusting the machine and tweaking it, it should be left alone.
My wife found it fine to look after the equipment when I came home from hospital and could not even lift my head up.
She cleaned the nasal pillows, the mask head, the hose and cleaned the filter of dust.  It was no problem to her, all she did was phone the Sleep Clinic and ask.  If she knew what to do over the phone it should be easy enough.
Having said that, I found the nurses in the hospital lacking in information about cpap!
You would think they would have basic training, they knew of Sleep Apnea but didn't know about the machine or how to use one.
They didn't allow me to raise the bed to get to my cpap machine, it was on top of the bed unit, the only place I could put it.
I either waited until they were away and raised the bed, or I waited for an axillary nurse (not trained but an assistant) to come along and asked her/him to help out.  They did it without any problems, asked if everything was ok, turned the machine on, got the thumbs up, then they left.
It always appeared to be a mystery as to how I was kitted up in the morning to the nurses!  I never said anything, just left them to think what they wanted.  One nurse said she couldn't fit the mask for me or turn on the machine as she had had no training!   Shock-2
Would she rather leave me to die?  Thankfully there were others with a bit more common sense.
I mentioned to a doctor and he just shook his head and muttered something I dare not repeat!

But to get back to your question, it is easy for a carer or a partner to get to grips with a cpap machine, cleaning and fitting the mask.
Couple of nights and they will be doing it without thinking to much about it.
All you need a is a list of things they should look for.  It really is not a problem, unless you are a trained nurse apparently!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. As long as the caretaker is able to learn, apparently that is the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.