Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] OSCAR Data Review Request
OSCAR Data Review Request
            Hello folks. Looking for a bit of guidance with my Oscar data. I've been using CPAP for about 10 months. I've included a summary below. I'd been set up with a fixed pressure of 10 after my sleep study and the doctor was happy with the reduction in my AHI. However, my AHI was still averaging little over 5 and I have not been happy with it. First I figured out I needed a mask so that helped. Then I found out how to make changes to my machine and started testing APAP. Right now I'm using a setting of 11 for APAP. In the screenshots you will see how my average has gone down since I started testing APAP at various pressures. I'm wondering if someone can guide me as to what I should try next. Should I keep going higher to see if I can bring the AHI down further or leave it be? I'm guessing folks here have experience with this sort of stuff so I'm hoping I get some feedback :Smile - thanks! 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR Data Review Request
You're probably going to want to take a look at this Wiki post on how to organize your OSCAR data. You'll get better answers that way. 
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I'll fix now.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=35038 Wrote:reverseswing pid='410052' dateline='1629724620']Hello folks. Looking for a bit of guidance with my Oscar data. I've been using CPAP for about 10 months. I've included a summary below. I'd been set up with a fixed pressure of 10 after my sleep study and the doctor was happy with the reduction in my AHI. However, my AHI was still averaging little over 5 and I have not been happy with it. First I figured out I needed a mask so that helped. Then I found out how to make changes to my machine and started testing APAP. Right now I'm using a setting of 11 for APAP. In the screenshots you will see how my average has gone down since I started testing APAP at various pressures. I'm wondering if someone can guide me as to what I should try next. Should I keep going higher to see if I can bring the AHI down further or leave it be? I'm guessing folks here have experience with this sort of stuff so I'm hoping I get some feedback :Smile - thanks! 

Attaching re-worked screenshot that follows community guidelines.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I am sorry to ask but you do know about the dreamstation problems. Most people are not using their dreamstation any more

Also ResMed seems to give better therapy.

With that being said I would raise the min by 1 to help get some of the H events eliminated.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2021, 10:24 AM)staceyburke Wrote: I am sorry to ask but you do know about the dreamstation problems. Most people are not using their dreamstation any more

Also ResMed seems to give better therapy.

With that being said I would raise the min by 1 to help get some of the H events eliminated.

I'm aware and registered with them for the recall. My understanding is that this issue happens when folks use anything other than water/soap to clean the Dreamstation. Since I've not done that, I've continued to use it. I'm waiting to find out if my insurance will cover ResMed.

I'll try raising by 1 as well. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2021, 10:49 AM)reverseswing Wrote: I'm aware and registered with them for the recall. My understanding is that this issue happens when folks use anything other than water/soap to clean the Dreamstation. Since I've not done that, I've continued to use it. I'm waiting to find out if my insurance will cover ResMed.

I'll try raising by 1 as well. Thanks!

The use of ozone "cleaners" exacerbates the foam degradation issue. It seems the foam will deteriorate and off-gas dangerous VOCs even without the use of the cleaners. You may want to check with your doctor for advice on whether to keep using it.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2021, 11:13 AM)upsman Wrote: The use of ozone "cleaners" exacerbates the foam degradation issue. It seems the foam will deteriorate and off-gas dangerous VOCs even without the use of the cleaners. You may want to check with your doctor for advice on whether to keep using it.

I'll ask him. It's such a difficult position to be in, need the device to sleep but might get killed by it  Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
There have been numerous reports on this forum of 'lightly' used, 'properly cleaned (no ozone or UV) far younger machines that the 5 years of life showing signs of foam degradation. look VERY carefully in your mask, preferably with a magnifying glass in good light. See ANY very small flecks of black? If so there is no question about it, your foam is degrading. I suggest as an interim measure using an Anti-Bacterial Filter, which does have its own problems, but it will trap particles and they should show up better on the filter. Note that your setting would likely need to be modified because of the additional resistance provided by the filter.

Agree with the increase in min pressure mentioned above.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2021, 08:13 AM)Gideon Wrote: There have been numerous reports on this forum of 'lightly' used, 'properly cleaned (no ozone or UV) far younger machines that the 5 years of life showing signs of foam degradation.  look VERY carefully in your mask, preferably with a magnifying glass in good light.  See ANY very small flecks of black?  If so there is no question about it, your foam is degrading.   I suggest as an interim measure using an Anti-Bacterial Filter, which does have its own problems, but it will trap particles and they should show up better on the filter.  Note that your setting would likely need to be modified because of the additional resistance provided by the filter.

Agree with the increase in min pressure mentioned above.

I don't see the specs of black stuff but I'm definitely worried about it. I'll push to see if I can find Resmed and get it paid under insurance. 
When you say anti-bacterial filter, I might have that. I know I have a filter, I just assumed it's a regular air filter. I've changed it a few times. It sits between the machine and the hose so filters the air before it gets into the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Need help analyzing OSCAR data user357 2 108 6 hours ago
Last Post: user357
  Any insight on this data from OSCAR? jake79 2 138 04-23-2024, 08:49 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 5 149 04-19-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: rygonzo93
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 24 1,391 04-18-2024, 10:17 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 307 04-18-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 227 04-15-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 145 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.