Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] OSCAR confusing me with leaks/apneas
RE: OSCAR confusing me with leaks/apneas
(04-26-2021, 06:04 PM)Gideon Wrote: A correction, OSCAR does NOT calculate the leaks, it simply reports them.  It reports what the manufacture put on the SD card.

I thought the leak rate was calculated based on how it is set in the Preferences > CPAP > Calculate Unintentional Leaks When Not Present tab?
Does the DreamStation have its own way to calculate? I could've misread the leak tab of the Wikipedia, apologies if I did.
Post Reply Post Reply
godletmesleep == I'm really impressed with the help you've received here....

The contributors know so much. Most sleep doctors won't even notice positional apnea. My neighbour is a fire fighter. He has positional apnea. He approached a Canadian dentist that sells appliances for apnea treatment. His appliance fits in his mouth. When he asked how much it cost, he was asked how much does the government pay for an apnea machine. No surprise--that amount was the size of his bill.

His positional apnea would have been well treated with the cervical collar you've bought.

My story--I listened to and interpreted all the information and recommendations I was given here. When I took the advice my treatment changed quickly. First step for me was buying a new apap machine. Then taking the recommendations and implementing the settings; that took a while as small changes were made.

My story doesn't matter. Point is that the people here made a huge difference for me. I'm finally getting the treatment I needed for a long time. And I'm waking up feeling better most mornings.

Hope these comments help.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all the help guys, you are all life-savers. 

I wore the Futuro collar last night, and my AHI got cut in half which was good, however I'm still having events very close to each other consistent with positional apnea.

I did also wake up with a lot of sharp neck pain on my left side, any possibility that could be due to having a pillow that's too low or high?
I sleep on pillows that are lower than my shoulder so my neck leans downward, don't know if that would contribute to positional apnea as well.

Below are the OSCAR results, hopefully I will soon be out of everyone's hair with constant updates. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, if your neck is bent as described, positional Apnea is still present and accounted for.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again guys, here's another night's results for you. Some strange flow rates in the 2:50 to 3:15 range.

Still having positional apneas, however, I suspect the culprit is me rolling onto my back and thus the pillow pushing my chin forward. I imagine a collar would be useless in that instance?
I found the back of the collar all mangled and misaligned when I woke up, so I imagine that is position movement-related. My sleep studies have revealed I spend a fair bit of time in a supine position.

It seems that the positional apneas are causing excessive pressure raising and it has led to some rather unpleasant aerophagia-type symptoms such as nausea, stomach pain, tension, and bloating. Hopefully, once the positional issue gets resolved it will stop my CPAP from freaking out and raising the pressure to compensate for positional issues.

If there's any advice to give, please feel free to. Thank you so much for all the help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The board has given me a huge amount of help with my positional apnea over the last 5 weeks or so.

First off, with leaks -- I realized recently that I have some vague memories of waking up with my mask leaking, and trying to wiggle my face to get it to stop. A couple of nights ago I was sleeping in my cervical collar and I woke up with mask leaking and I was NOT moving just my face, but I had managed to tuck my chin behind the collar!

So it's not that the apneas cause the leaks or leaks cause apneas directly, but that the leaking causes you to put your body in different positions trying to make the leak stop, and it's those positions that are causing the apneas.

These collars have measurements on them, but when I actually take out a tape measure and measure it, I've found that the different collars that I've bought the numbers on the box are way off. The only way to know what the measurements are going to be is to buy it and hold it in your hand. So it really helps to go to a bricks and mortar store and look at them.

If the collar is able to move, it doesn't fit right, and it's going to let you put your chin into positions that it shouldn't go. The ones that I can buy are much too long for me, so I have cut them apart and cut off 4 inches of length. This means that it fits snugly enough to work without having to lap the ends over each other, which I find uncomfortable. The thing that keeps the front centered under your chin is the dip in the front of the collar. If the dip isn't deep enough, the collar will move.

Basically the secret was to buy multiple collars and see what works best, and in my case I had to get out the scissors and cut out extra length and sew it back together.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks cathyf!

That helps a lot...There are so many paths on this road to OSA success.  It's so easy for me to lose my way.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips.

I can't for the life of me figure out how on earth to keep my chin neutral, the collar I have is seemingly just not working for me despite fitting me relatively well. Maybe I have the chin rest up too high? Honestly part of me just wants to glue a solid object to the chin rest and see if it tries to tuck after that. Very confusing  Huh
[Image: 78a44d2f239df6fa4cf69fe137c1b5a4.png]

This tucking habit I have had since I was very little, old habits are hard to break I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone?
Post Reply Post Reply
I myself don't have an answer for you. I'm responding to bump the thread up to the top.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 565 2 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 306 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.