Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Old CPAP user new to this forum
Old CPAP user new to this forum
I have been using a CPAP for 15 years now but have always gone it alone with no online help. I see now this was a mistake as there is a wealth of info on this forum. I had a recent sleep study done (my third one) and am now going from a nasal mask to a FFM. I am not a mouth breather but even with a chin strap the air leaked out my lips when using a nasal mask. I started using a F&P Simplus mask just a couple days ago and I'm struggling to get the adjustment right without ruining my face . I found that by adjusting the headgear lower that it pulls on the lower attachments differently and allows a better seal without cranking the straps down. I'll see if this works for me tonite. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Old CPAP user new to this forum
Hi Rastur!

You came to the right place!

Sounds like the FFM will work for you, you'll need to try on half a dozen and see which ones
work best for you.

If you can get SleepyHead software up and running folks here can show you how to monitor your leaks
and other stuff.

This way you can learn how to correct/adjust for things on the fly.

If your DME/insurance needs to be hassled the folks here will give you all the tips & angles.

Best of Luck!

Sleep-well

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rastur -- If you haven't seen it yet, this video review (with fitting tips) of the Simplus mask might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orYj6wzt-Sk
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rastur,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and adjust to your FFM.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2015, 08:54 PM)Rastur Wrote: I am not a mouth breather but even with a chin strap the air leaked out my lips when using a nasal mask. I started using a F&P Simplus mask just a couple days ago and I'm struggling to get the adjustment right without ruining my face . I found that by adjusting the headgear lower that it pulls on the lower attachments differently and allows a better seal without cranking the straps down. I'll see if this works for me tonite. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

The F&P Simplus is in my opinion a very good mask. I use one & along with others found the difficulty you're experiencing. It is important not to have the mask straps too tight or the mask too high on your face. CPAP air pressure entering your upper airway via your nose only will force your tongue downward end escape through your lips & short of changing to a FFM, there's little that can be done to stop it. I used mouth taping for six years with no ill effects, There is a way of doing the taping which I can explain, but it is a practice frowned upon my most members. Read this post. It may help you as it has many others. Best wishes
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
The F&P Simplus is in my opinion a very good mask. I use one & along with others found the difficulty you're experiencing. It is important not to have the mask straps too tight or the mask too high on your face. CPAP air pressure entering your upper airway via your nose only will force your tongue downward end escape through your lips & short of changing to a FFM, there's little that can be done to stop it. I used mouth taping for six years with no ill effects, There is a way of doing the taping which I can explain, but it is a practice frowned upon my most members. It may help you as it has many others. Best wishes
[/quote]

What a brilliant idea. I'm going to try your Woozle. Thanks for the tip.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah you need to get rid of those mouth leaks.
my guess is that SleepyHead will show more leaks, since they may not always wake you up!

SleepyHead is your tune up analyzer!

The price is right too.

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the things that I found helps me to reduce the propensity to leak with the Simplus mask is as follows. After putting the mask on and turning the machine on so that you get some pressure in the system, gently pull the mask away from your face for a second or two. Then gently lower the mask back onto your face to allow it to re-seat. This has the effect of getting the seals fully inflated. This helped me and I did not have to do so much fiddling with the mask to keep it from leaking.

Welcome to the forum.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2015, 09:45 AM)Shastzi Wrote: Yeah you need to get rid of those mouth leaks.
my guess is that SleepyHead will show more leaks, since they may not always wake you up!

SleepyHead is your tune up analyzer!

The price is right too.

Smile

Ok, I have installed the sleepyhead software and imported the data from my SD card. I have no idea how to interpret the data I'm looking at. What's my next step?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2015, 02:43 PM)Rastur Wrote: Ok, I have installed the sleepyhead software and imported the data from my SD card. I have no idea how to interpret the data I'm looking at. What's my next step?

Well, consult the help files for a start. I felt pretty overwhelmed at first but after a month or so the patterns began to become visible to me. One single night doesn't matter as much as trends, so don't panic if things look bad one night or even a week, especially as you are starting to get used to sleeping on the machine. What you want to look for are trends.

What I always take a look at first is the Flow rate graph then the Flow limitations graph and how they affect the pressure my machine delivers. You will likely notice a correlation between the flow rate restriction and the pressures your machine delivers, assuming you have an auto machine.

After looking at the flow graphs for awhile you can begin to tell how long it took you to go to sleep and give you an idea of when you werein "REM" sleep, though the only sure measure of that and EEG.

I also examine the "snore" graph and look to see how that correlates with the flow limitation, and the leak graph to see if there were any big long lasting leaks.

Then I click on the Events tab and use the mouse to "zoom in" on all my OA's CA's and Hypopneas. I also take a zoom in on all the "large leaks" which don't affect your AHI but can affect your therapy and how well you feel.

As for that strange graph at the bottom with the triangles, I still don't understand what that does so I pretty much ignore it. I also ignore some of the others because I don't really understand them and don't think they matter much.

Then I go to the "overview" graphs. There's a bit of a problem with my version of SleepyHead that means it doesn't show the latest night when the graphs come up. Hit the right mouse button.

I look at the total hours under the machine, the number of times I got up to urinate and the longest stretch of time I was under. I have noticed, I think, that if my longest period is more than four hours I usually feel better that day.

Also scroll down and look at the "total time in apnea" graph. This is important because the A.H.I. doesn't tell the whole story. You might have a reasonably low A.H.I. but if the apneas you do have are long lasting you might still feel terrible. If you have a lot but they are all only 10 seconds long you might still feel OK. Total time in apnea tells you something about that.

So that's my approach now after 10 months on this therapy. I hope this will give you some idea of where to start. I am sure others will approach things differently.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 22 426 9 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,489 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 269 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,043 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,017 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,592 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 188 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.