Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Phillips/Respironics True Blue
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Old REMstar plus
I have an old REM star plus that quit producing the proper pressure after it had a hard fall although it was still set properly. The insurance company gave me a new REMstar pro M series and the old one sat in a closet for several years.

Recently, I took the old machine apart, but could not determine the problem (no leaks). I reset the pressure to about double and now it produces enough air flow but is way too noisy.

Here is my question... because I am on old cheapskate, I don't want to spend the money to buy another machine but, I have a place on the lake where I would like to keep a spare machine. If I can get the old girl fixed, it would be great. Any advice on how, will be appreciated.
oldman
04-21-2013 05:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: Old REMstar plus
Hi ibfestus,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there and maybe someone will have a suggestion for you as to how you can get "The old girl," back up and running tiptop or close to it, (ha-Ha-Ha,) I don't blame you for trying to get it fixed.

trish6hundred
04-21-2013 05:25 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: Old REMstar plus
(04-21-2013 05:02 PM)ibfestus Wrote:  Recently, I took the old machine apart, but could not determine the problem (no leaks). I reset the pressure to about double and now it produces enough air flow but is way too noisy.

Don't confuse air flow with air pressure. These machines measure the volume flow rate in, say, liters per minute, and the pressure in centimeters of water.

You can make a simple manometer by setting a tub of water in your bathtub or other place where a spill won't be a bother. When the hose is submerged the CPAP machine should make bubbles of air. The depth, in centimeters, to which the end of the hose must be submerged to stop the bubbles is the pressure, in centimeters of water.

The amazing thing is that these CPAP machines are capable of maintaining the desired pressure over a wide range of flow rates.

As far as help fixing the hardware, well, that's been discussed here, and you may even be able to find the service manual for your machine. But these machines are pretty much gone when they're gone, and yours sounds like it's gone.

You should be able to find a cheap replacement from Supplier #2, or even by checking the want ads or craigslist.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-21-2013 05:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  REMStar SE with DOT Compliance musicman85 11 401 12-01-2016 09:08 PM
Last Post: musicman85
  philips remstar auto a-flex skylersdad 2 170 11-29-2016 05:47 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Question: sound level on Resmed S9 WITHOUT humidifier, compared to Remstar 560 kowlooner 8 236 11-29-2016 10:51 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
  [Equipment] Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex 550P Issue PreciousRoy1981 27 24,139 09-30-2016 06:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  REMStar BiPAP AutoSV Advanced warmbear 3 281 09-28-2016 06:33 PM
Last Post: TWO44
  Respironics REMstar C-flex JenJen 4 494 09-08-2016 07:22 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  RemStar Auto A-Flex: Control wheel fault? yossarian 2 261 09-08-2016 09:48 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider