Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Old machine dusty smell?
Old machine dusty smell?
Hi all

My BMC resmart auto died without explanation a few days ago so I am exhausted without therapy the last few nights. Ordered a new BMC Luna II auto but in desperation dragged my old Puritan Bennet Sandman Info out of the cupboard and tried to get it working.

It had a problem where if unplugged it would blank screen when reconnected for 12-24 hours before working again. Which is why I replaced it. Well finally it started working after being plugged in for a day, I have replaced the air filter and cleaned the tank.

But while working it has a powerful dusty smell that is unbearable. I tried running it without mask for several minutes but the smell persists.With no tank and clean filter the smell is coming from the interior.

Is this just a consequence of being stored for four years and not much I can do about it?

Regards
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Old machine dusty smell?
G'day Gamblor. Welcome to Apnea Board.

A friend once had an old valve type radio that wasn't working and produced a bad smell. On opening it up we found a dead mouse inside, neatly short circuiting the 240v input. Vomit

Not saying you've got anything that nasty but after four years it's possible there's more than dust in there. I'm not familiar with that machine but it might be possible to open it up and check the innards. Maybe blow out the interior with compressed air if you have access to a source.
Post Reply Post Reply
Run it for an hour it may blow the cobwebs out..
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem with a machine that had been stored.
I took it to bits and cleaned it but it still had a bit of a smell, so I took the filter out, placed a warm almost hot bowl of water with smelly disinfectant and smelly stuff in it. This did help a bit, but didn't cure it completely.
I wouldn't recommend taking it to bit though.
Something smelly (a few drops) on a sponge that you like the smell of (Not wet) with the filter out might help, leave it running for a while.
At the Sleep Clinic they sprayed some sort of gas through the CPAP every year, smelt like it the machine had been to the dentist.

Other than that I don't know what to do with it, don't go spraying things into it, even an air duster tin from an electrical store has propane in it and I wouldn't spray that into the machine.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
This is just a thought off the top of my head. Try a blast of Ozium in the intake while it is running. This stuff kills all sorts of odors related to airsickness.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2018, 08:16 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Something smelly (a few drops)  on a sponge that you like the smell of (Not wet) with the filter out might help, leave it running for a while.

If you go this route, don't put it on the filter itself! It would probably be a good idea to put it on a paper towel or sponge near the filter, but not super close or touching...that way you can get the smell, but you don't risk pulling the scent oil itself into the machine (oil gloms onto plastic and you'll never get the smell out).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,735 17 minutes ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,208 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,151 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,393 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  Resmed Climateline tubing smell wenfroed 21 7,658 10-08-2022, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.