Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Optimal AHI
Question 
Optimal AHI
My wife uses an Resmed AirSense A10 for Her with autoset of 8-16. Last night her readings were AHI 6.1, Leak 4L, and Pressure of 14. She uses a Simplus FFM with chin strap. The lowest AHI reading she has had was around 3. Are there any other settings that would affect AHI (ramp, EPR, ?)? Would sleeping on her back impact the readings? What should be her expectations for AHI readings?

Thank you.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Optimal AHI
Hi Mike.
Ramp, EPR, and sleeping on your back can all affect AHI.  If you can post some screenshots of sleepyhead data, people will be better equipped to answer your questions and provide helpful input.
The medical community considers an AHI of 5 or less as "treated", but you can usually do better with some small adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mike, we need to know how much of that AHI is CA. If you put the setting for Essentials from ON to PLUS it will breakdown the AHI on screen. You need to go to clinical settings to make that change. If you're using Sleepyhead for her data, then you know that has better information. We can't make setting changes without more information.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting title Mike,

What is the "Optimal AHI",  Medically anything 5 and under is considered treated.  Around here we like to get the AHI down as low as we can get it and still have the user feeling good.

Pretty much anything can influence AHI, everything from the common cold to . . .

The best way to get quality advice for your wife is to post her data and mention any issues with central or complex apnea that may have shown up on your wife's sleep study.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI 6.2, Total AI 2.7, Central AI 1.4. 

I have Plus on and have the Resmed software installed. It has been a while since I looked at Sleepyhead - I use a Mac with Parallels.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope I am doing this correctly? What conclusions can be made from this data?

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll let the more experienced guys comment on the numbers. But a small tip that could help with them viewing the data. You should turn off the pie chart in Sleepyhead in the options. Allows more valuable data below to be seen on the screenshot.
Post Reply Post Reply
To turn off the pie chart select the file menu, then preferences, then the appearance tab, and unheck "show event breakdown pie chart. What you put up works but you may want to organize your charts as described in the link below. It's the format used on the forum.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2017, 05:19 PM)Melman Wrote: To turn off the pie chart select the file menu, then preferences, then the appearance tab, and unheck "show event breakdown pie chart. What you put up works but you may want to organize your charts as described in the link below. It's the format used on the forum.

OK, I have turned off the pie chart. I read the instructions and organized the charts in the order suggested. What am I missing?
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I think I have it edited to normal procedure. Now, what can I conclude from the data?

[attachment=3315]

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 463 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  [Treatment] How to tell if I am getting optimal results from my PAP treatment? TryingToGetItRight 7 1,088 10-06-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: McDee
Grin [Pressure] Not sure what optimal pressures are mrsleepyhead2001 2 669 08-17-2022, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Is this a good way to figure out the optimal pressure settings? CorruptAlligator 6 2,233 09-16-2021, 02:34 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Optimal minimum pressure jakobankerhansen 3 1,494 08-03-2021, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Optimal settings on resmed airsense 10 autoset genaccmiller 27 9,028 06-22-2021, 04:56 PM
Last Post: genaccmiller
  I think my settings are not optimal virus 1 740 11-13-2020, 03:26 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.