Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Optimal Pressure Settings - Range
Optimal Pressure Settings - Range
Newbie here. This is a great resource, thanks to all that contribute here.

I just got a PR System One Auto 60 Series. My CPAP prescription calls for a pressure of 9.5. The APAP prescription reads 4-20. My machine is set to 4-20 and I am using it in APAP mode.

Over the first 6 days of use my 95% pressure is between 10 and 11 according to Sleepyhead.

I dont fully understand why having a smaller range set is better. Can't I keep my machine at 4-20? Doesn't the APAP algorithm determine what pressure I need at all times? What are the advantages to having a smaller range?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Optimal Pressure Settings - Range
Hi EasyBreather,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to have a look towards the end of this thread where this exact question is discussed.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine increase pressure in response to snore and flow limitation which are precursor to full blown apnea event, if minimum pressure is too low ... the pressure might not get high enough to deal with collapse airways and duration of apnea will be longer too also some apnea events can occur without any warning, they can slip through if pressure have to ramp up from low starting point.
If you find starting with lower pressure more comfortable ... Ramp pressure can be set to start at lower pressure.
In theory the maximum pressure is not that important but if one have problem with flow limitation, the machine keep increasing pressure until maximum reached or you wake up. Higher pressure can induce aerophagia and central apnea in some people
I don,t think its an exact science rather trying and see what works best for you ... common sense and compromise

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,551 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,422 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help with data interpretation and pressure settings Strange54 3 362 01-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 463 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  What is the most comfortable pressure and settings if comfort is the only goal? hejohoo 2 315 01-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.