Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What else to test for when diagnosed with sleep apnea recently
What else to test for when diagnosed with sleep apnea recently
Hey All  Smile

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea back in August (AHI: 62) and I was placed on a trial APAP (Resmed 10 Autoset for Her) which has started to give me some excellent days and some not-so-good days - definitely my body is getting used to it, catching up on all the lost sleep and recovering. It is likely that I had SA for years that wasn't detected until now. I am 5 feet 7 inches tall and weigh 256 lbs.

Upon the diagnosis, my primary care doctor also got some bloodwork done. I am meeting my doctor for followup this week, but from the lab reports that I received directly it appears that there are some more issues:
  • Iron deficiency likely as Hemoglobin, Hematocrit and MCV are normal but very close to the lower end of reference range, whereas MCH is low (clearly outside of reference range), ferritin is within reference range, but not in the ideal/comfortable range
  • Vitamin D3 is low (clearly outside of reference range)
  • Testosterone is low (clearly outside of reference range)
  • I was also tested for B12, Thyorid function, Lipids, Blood Chemistry and CBC - everything else appears to be normal
I have a hunch that the deficiencies found above could be due to the sleep apnea. Some of these were normal last year during physical as I was supplementing for a few things. I have an upcoming visit with my doctor in which I'm sure he'll recommend supplementation and/or TRT. 

My question to the community: Besides the above, what else should I get tested for that is common with sleep apnea patients and I could have? What else does sleep apnea deplete in the body? I am not very good with knowing when my body isn't feeling great and I try to rely on tests.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What else to test for when diagnosed with sleep apnea recently
We are best with data, Post a copy of your nightly charts from OSCAR and also your Sleep Studies. We will be able to help you optimize your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What else to test for when diagnosed with sleep apnea recently
Perhaps symptoms that you might have discounted as ‘just getting older‘.  I’m thinking of lung function.  Shortness of breath.  Dizzy feelings. Etc.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 15 264 4 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 66 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 194 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,828 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.