Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Are there any APAP Machines that record SLEEP HOURS
RE: Are there any APAP Machines that record SLEEP HOURS
There are numerous DIY projects available that allow you to monitor your brain waves and store them on your mobile device or PC. Combine one of these with a little (famous last words) software and it should not be hard to recognize sleep patterns. Combine all that with Sleepyhead and you would have what you want. I expect a Raspberry PI or an Aurdino would be sufficient to do the processing and you then wouldn't need to have a PC involved.

The biggest concern in this would be for safety, since it would be tempting to avoid batteries and plug in a power pack into a wall socket which is an almost absolute NO-NO because of the possibility of a short in the power supply running 120AC (in the US) through your brain, which would be unpleasant to put it mildly.

I will do some googling and get back if I find anyone that has already done all the heavy lifting to build it. Price should be around $100 for all the parts.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made a post earlier in this tread about having low confidence in the data. I was frustrated over what I know now is Sleep wake junk. I have used a sleep AP on my smart phone and a heart rate monitor on my wrist. Then compared the data form these devices to the flow rate data in sleepy head and I have identified the sleep pattern in the flow rate data that tells me when I am a sleep. The hard part is my smartphone AP only work s well if a wear a shirt with a pocket over my hard and sleep on my bake without rolling over. I still cant identify rem sleep, although I have period when my hear rate drop significantly in my sleep.

Once you learn how to factor out the sleep wake time from the actual sleep time. You will know your actual sleep time
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find the breaths per minute graph helpful. I can see (on the graph) my breathing slowing down and when it levels off I was likely asleep. And when it later jumps around for awhile I was dreaming (if I wake up while it is jumping around I remember the dream). So looking at that graph seems to give me a pretty good indication of how my night went. I find it easier to interpret than the flow graph so far as when I am sleeping, dreaming, or awake.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is not an APAP machine to record sleep, but the ResMed S+ is supposed to be able to do it remotely, even down to classifying sleep stages. One does wonder if it is as good as suggested, why ResMed doesn't use the algorithms in their apnoea machines, where surely the breath cycle part of things would be more accurate that what could be achieved by an external device, though the external device can in addition measure movement.

Nevertheless I am just about to try one out and will report in a few weeks how it goes (As an Aussie, I also have to complete work-arounds to be able to download "App store USA only" software)

Some of the ResMed blurb FYI
"“The S+ measures movements using ultra low power radio waves (less than 1/10 of Bluetooth®) …........

A major component of the S+ system is our patent-protected SleepSensor that lets it monitor your sleep without actually touching you. No mattress strips. No wristbands. Just a nightstand monitor that can accurately record your breathing and movement. Proprietary software performs a variety of signal analysis tasks including respiration analysis and sleep quality measurement.

The S+ technology’s ability to accurately measure sleep patterns has been published in 10 scientific papers, and has been tested and proven against expert manually scored patient sleep data gathered in several accredited sleep laboratories.

Monitors the four stages of your sleep (sleep onset, light sleep, deep sleep and REM) and whenever your sleep is interrupted

Creates a personalized sleep chart comparing your sleep against an ideal night’s sleep for your age and gender”"
Post Reply Post Reply
Whoa, at $83 for prime members at Amazon this is hard to compete with if it works. I may have to get one just to test it. Their claims are pretty solid, I expect they are not going to damage their reputation if it doesn't work. I like their guarantee to increase sleep time in 30 days or money back. hmmm. Now to get that data out of the iPhone and into a data file.

I can't post a link yet (too noob) but just go to ResMed, or google or Amazon and search for ResMed S+

EDIT: Okay, I couldn't pass on this, the implication was the $50 off was a limited time so I bought one and will have it Tuesday and will see how it works and if there is anyway to get the time stamped data out of it! Worse case, copy it by hand into a spreadsheet daily...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 82 3 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 1 76 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 11 241 04-19-2024, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 106 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Airsense 10 run hours??? eok361 5 160 04-18-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,286 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 182 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.