Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Overwhelmed
Overwhelmed
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 6 weeks ago. I have a Resmed AirSense10 auto set. I have tried to use the mask that came with the machine for 2 weeks now. Having a difficult time adjusting the mask. Either it's too loose and mask leaks or when adjusting the straps so the mask doesn't leak, then I get soars and red rashy areas on my face. Also, I have a rash on the back of my neck from the strap.
After notifying my rep, I received a different mask, Phillips Respironics Amara View. Last night I used the new mask but could not adjust the straps to fit correctly. The only way to adjust the mask so it wouldn't leak is to tighten the straps and that was just too uncomfortable around my head and felt like it squeezed my head. I got it to feel comfortable one time but when I moved my head, the mask began to leak.
I ended up using my old mask, but today I have redness around my nose and cheeks and the rash on the back of my neck is worse.
I'm willing to keep on trying but feel like I need to let the redness and rashes go away first. I don't want to make it worse.
How many masks are there available? Has anyone had to try more than 3 masks?
Thank you for reading my post. All advice is welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Overwhelmed
There are a huge amount of masks. You can look at many on YouTube and most someone will give it a full review and SHOW you how to best adjust it.There are 3 major types of masks with many different options of each. Full face, nasal, and pillows.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Right, I need the full face mask. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using the same machine as you, and have been using the ResMed AirFit F20 or the F30. Those are the only two masks I've tried. Both serve me well, with the F30 being my favorite. 

Face rashes will come & go. It takes some time for your skin / face to adjust / adapt. I tend to keep my masks adjusted on the tight side. I'm a side sleeper and a mouth breather. Even when sleeping with my face buried in my pillow, my masks generally stay put. 

It will most likely be a case of trial & error for you, in regards to masks. If one mask fit all, that would be great. But.....that isn't the case.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a picture of the ResMed F30 series, all excellent masks but just a small sample of masks available.  I like the one on the left because it takes the hose from in front of your face to the top of the head.  Turing over in bed is much easier with the hose at the top of the head. (click on the picture for full size)
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, the noise from the air turbulence as it passed near my ears was more annoying than getting use to the hose out front.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #31 has a variety of mask liners and other products that may help with the discomfort and leaks. It may be worth looking at what they have to offer.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had that type of mask for 3 years and never noticed the noise. I guess that is why there are so many masks on the market - everyone has to find one right for them
Post Reply Post Reply
Finding the right mask and getting it adjusted properly is a big challenge. If you haven't already, I suggest you read the mask primer. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Mask_Primer
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
P.M.  Welcome to the forum where you will get help during your CPAP journey. The mask primer listed at the bottom of my post has helped many members get their mask problems under control. What works best for me is to be on the loose side on mask adjustment. By the way, check the manufacturer’s mask fit recommendations. 
Stan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,190 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
Question [CPAP] Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data Lobelia48 9 898 02-08-2023, 03:58 AM
Last Post: chewielotuses
Gross Just downloaded Oscar and overwhelmed imsmitty3 7 873 10-27-2021, 10:55 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  Stressed and overwhelmed N00b - Where to start? araminta 9 920 06-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Geer1
  [Equipment] High RDI low AHI. Overwhelmed with machine choices, OSCAR data, etc.. ldinks 8 2,658 12-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Just diagnosed with mild OSA, overwhelmed and need some help tiredsam98 12 2,230 07-13-2020, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Just got diagnosed, feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the information. SuperLuigi 22 2,494 03-18-2020, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.