Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Palate defect problems
Palate defect problems
I am new to CPAP having used my ResMed S9 AutoSet in Continuous mode for 5 days. Humidity set to auto. Dr. wanted max pressure to be 10 but I could not old my mouth closed at that pressure. I have a defect in my palate that connects the mouth directly to the right nose airway. I use a nasal mask. I reduced pressure to max 8.0 and can manage but my mouth gets so dry that I wake up and have to rinse out with water every 2 hours. Anybody else coping with a similar problem? I am getting fitted for a full face mask in 2 weeks thinking that might help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Palate defect problems
(10-26-2014, 02:27 PM)JBee Wrote: I am new to CPAP having used my ResMed S9 AutoSet in Continuous mode for 5 days. Humidity set to auto. Dr. wanted max pressure to be 10 but I could not old my mouth closed at that pressure. I have a defect in my palate that connects the mouth directly to the right nose airway. I use a nasal mask. I reduced pressure to max 8.0 and can manage but my mouth gets so dry that I wake up and have to rinse out with water every 2 hours. Anybody else coping with a similar problem? I am getting fitted for a full face mask in 2 weeks thinking that might help.
Welcome to the forum, JBee
With nasal masks, you need to keep mouth closed, mouth leaks can dry your mouth and compromise your therapy as therapy air escaping thru the mouth. Full face mask is one solution but I prefer to use chinstrap with my nasal mask, chinstrap helps keep mouth closed

The machine can only go as high as needed to control your apnea, it might reach the maximum set pressure or might not, the machine sleep report gives you some indication (95th percentile pressure) and the software gives you the full picture. SleepyHead download link is at the top of the page and you can find ResScan link in " Private Files and Links"

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JBee,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a chinstrap to see if that will help you keep your mouth closed.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
With a palate issue you may not be able to maintain a seal with anything other than a full face mask. But that's ok, because there are lots of nice options for those. Check around here for favorites. I use a pillows mask, but if I were to use a full face I would take a good look at the Resmed F10. Come back with a new thread if you want and ask folks specifically what they would recommend for a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. I will try the full facemask - I am scheduled for a fitting by a therapist.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum and I really hope that a full face mask will be the solution to your problem. Do come back and let us know how you are getting on with your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am now using the AirFit F10 full face mask and it works perfectly. Very comfortable and solved the problems with dry mouth and leakage. My AHI has been in the range of .2 to .8 with an average about .3. Before using the CPAP it was measured at 33. Should I expect an AHI of zero with the CPAP machine? I played with the max pressure and set it to 4.2 with a floor of 4.o and my AHI was 1.8. When set at 8.6 I get the low numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
JBee, You have conquered the beast fairly easily it would seem. Kudos to you and a big whopee wow wow! Thanks for posting back your good news so that others, especially newbies, can take hope from your experience.

You need not try nor suspect that you will ever achieve a complete zero AHI although it may occasionally happen. Anything under 5 AHI is considered good enough and well managed enough. Not to worry, you are already doing as well as you ever need to and your days of titration are over with until there is some major change in your condition. Most CPAPers would be overjoyed to have your results! I'd say leave it alone and enjoy the good nights of sleep that it will surely provide.

Thanks & Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks for the encouragement. I fear the night I hop out of bed for the bathroom and forget to disconnect!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 16 1,875 4 hours ago
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 142 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 213 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 748 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ? zaienk 22 1,635 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Oscar Data Immediate Wake Ups - Tongue / Palate? ancheero 6 631 12-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ancheero
  Does this indicate palate prolapse? ekirtz 2 356 12-20-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: zaienk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.