Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hi! My Sleep Apnea Journey...
RE: Hi! My Sleep Apnea Journey...
Hi there!

Thanks for tolerating these long posts, but I'm trying to put together a first hand step by step for other people afraid of going through this experience like I was. Hopefully someone will benefit one day!

So, I had my CPAP appointment on Friday and enjoyed my first night last night.

I'll post later about my CPAP fitting (which was actually rather positive), but they only had Phillips Respironics products... Though I was hoping for ResMed. So I've got the Dreamstation with the Dreamwear nasal mask.

Adjusting to the machine was intense. Learning to breathe in and pushing the air back was an interesting experience for sure (though I'm sure some of that is mask adjustment). I've also found that I'm a huge fan of humidity and the dry air made me really cough initially (until I adjusted).

Apparently during my sleep study my AHI was 44, and last night according to DreamMapper (I am traveling the next four days and haven't had a chance to load the SD card) my AHI was only 4.6... So that's a huge difference.

... I started that at about 2PM, and it's about 1AM now, in my hotel for the evening.

I have to say - today was glorious. I wasn't euphoric... But I didn't tire out in the afternoon. And I have a lot of stomach acid issues... Which didn't hurt today, as they always do (more so when I'm more tired). So... I was happy. Just... In a pleasant mood all day. Maybe some of it is psychological from feeling rested, but that's okay. That in itself as made this whole experience worth it.

My mask must need some adjusting... I had 0 large leaks, but I had this awful raw red spot below my nose... Like chapped lips, but higher, after waking up. I've been putting neosporin on it all day so it's a bit better - but hoping for no repeat tomorrow!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, JPDTrek. I haven't used the particular mask that you have, but lots of people who use nasal pillows type masks find that they need to use some sort of moisturizer on the skin under their nose before putting on the mask. It's generally recommended to avoid petroleum-based products. Lanolin is popular. I use avocado oil (I had some around when I needed it. It works, and I like that it has almost no odor.) If I don't use it, sometimes I will wake up with a tender spot either just under my nose or on the opening to one nostril. I think it's caused by friction from the pillows rubbing against my nose when I inhale and exhale, probably when I'm sleeping on my side.

(07-31-2016, 12:58 AM)JPDTrek Wrote: My mask must need some adjusting... I had 0 large leaks, but I had this awful raw red spot below my nose... Like chapped lips, but higher, after waking up. I've been putting neosporin on it all day so it's a bit better - but hoping for no repeat tomorrow!

Post Reply Post Reply
I suffered from GERD a lot before starting on CPAP. Since then it has not bothered me much (as long as I don't have too much greasy pizza and too many fizzy beers). I was on a PPI (Losec) for years and am in the process of tapering off to see if I can stop using that. I tried that earlier in my CPAP journey and got terrible rebound acidity for my efforts. Going slower this time. I must remember: baby steps.

My anxiety and depression have also greatly lessened. Again, working on getting off the medications to see if I still need it. I am a much happier person now than I can ever recall being. Happy is nice, I like it.

So all of this to say that what you are experiencing may become your new normal. Yet more reasons to persevere with the therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2016, 11:26 AM)green wings Wrote: Hi, JPDTrek. I haven't used the particular mask that you have, but lots of people who use nasal pillows type masks find that they need to use some sort of moisturizer on the skin under their nose before putting on the mask. It's generally recommended to avoid petroleum-based products. Lanolin is popular. I use avocado oil (I had some around when I needed it. It works, and I like that it has almost no odor.) If I don't use it, sometimes I will wake up with a tender spot either just under my nose or on the opening to one nostril. I think it's caused by friction from the pillows rubbing against my nose when I inhale and exhale, probably when I'm sleeping on my side.

Hi there! Hard lesson learned from this. Used Vaseline last night before putting on my mask (petroleum based, obviously)... And had crazy leaks from my mask. I spent a lot of the night adjusting the mask and woke up with an 8.4 AHI today. :-/ Just ordered an f&p simplus FFM... Will be waiting for me when I get back to LA in a couple days!

(07-31-2016, 12:41 PM)chill Wrote: I suffered from GERD a lot before starting on CPAP. Since then it has not bothered me much (as long as I don't have too much greasy pizza and too many fizzy beers). I was on a PPI (Losec) for years and am in the process of tapering off to see if I can stop using that. I tried that earlier in my CPAP journey and got terrible rebound acidity for my efforts. Going slower this time. I must remember: baby steps.

My anxiety and depression have also greatly lessened. Again, working on getting off the medications to see if I still need it. I am a much happier person now than I can ever recall being. Happy is nice, I like it.

So all of this to say that what you are experiencing may become your new normal. Yet more reasons to persevere with the therapy.

Agreed on all counts! Glad your GERD is improving. Smile Smile ! As well as your anxiety and depression.

I have to say, sadly, I notice a pretty dramatic difference with last nights 8.4 AHI. Stomach definitely not as happy as it was yesterday... And instead of happy, I'm more "blah." Not bad as before (I mean 8 is way better than 44), but not yesterday's level of awesome.

Haven't had a chance to go over last night's sleepyhead data... But my first night showed that every time the pressure dipped below 8cm, snoring/hypopnea ensued. Want to see if that pattern continues... And if so, may raise my bottom pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was starting out, I would notice large differences in how I felt between relatively minor AHI differences (relative to untreated). Now I manage to keep it below 1 most nights. That is about 10% machine adjustments and 90% just getting used to it, I think. Maybe 95%.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2016, 04:43 PM)chill Wrote: When I was starting out, I would notice large differences in how I felt between relatively minor AHI differences (relative to untreated). Now I manage to keep it below 1 most nights. That is about 10% machine adjustments and 90% just getting used to it, I think. Maybe 95%.

That's inspiring!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 3 807 8 hours ago
Last Post: gzaw
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 277 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 192 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 64 3,161 03-12-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,818 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.