Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Philips REMstar SE
Philips REMstar SE
I am so disappointed. I knew how to adjust the pressure somewhat on my Healthdyne Tranquility Quest (circa 1997) - a screwdriver in the hidden panel but I needed a manometer ($$$) to get any idea of the pressure. I've been having a hell of a time sleeping. Had a sleep study recently. Today I got word back that the recommended setting (8) hasn't changed. I'm miffed. But I got a new machine out of the deal. A Philips Respironics REMstar SE. I'm trying to find a service manual for it. Aside from that, at least how to change the pressure. There's an outside chance that my old machine was no longer accurate and this new one will do the trick. But just in case, I'd like a line on the service manual. The user manual doesn't give me the information I require. Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips REMstar SE
See what happens after a couple of weeks of sleeping with the new machine before you fiddle with the settings. Chances are the pressure on your old machine was not set properly to 8 cm.

http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ugly welcome to forum - it does not seem the REMstar SE offer any efficacy data just how many hours using the machine each night
PRS1 Auto and Pro are data capable machines Not the Plus
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....IntEng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll echo what the Sleepster says:: lay off worrying about trying to tweak before you try it for a couple of weeks to see if you improve any.
The old timer (machine) may have just been getting tired.

Also, since you have just gotten the new RemStar, I would go back to the dealer (whereever) you got the machine and see if they can give you a model that is complete data capable. Since you are interested in your knowledge about CPAP and its therapy, then I'm sure that you would be much better off with a complete data capable machine that you can download software (which is avbl for free) and check your statistics.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2012, 10:03 PM)Ugly Wrote: I am so disappointed. I knew how to adjust the pressure somewhat on my Healthdyne Tranquility Quest (circa 1997) - a screwdriver in the hidden panel but I needed a manometer ($$$) to get any idea of the pressure.

Actually, it's very easy to measure the pressure with a home-made "manometer". To check and see if your pressure is correctly set to 8 cm you just remove the mask from the end of the hose and put a mark on the hose 8 cm from that end. With the CPAP machine running submerge that end of the hose into a tub of water that's more than 8 cm deep. It should make bubbles until you get it to a depth of 8 cm, any deeper and the bubbles will stop. Just make sure the submerged 8 cm section of hose is vertical, or very nearly vertical. You can just eyeball it. It's important, but not critical.

When the water level is even with the mark you made on the hose, you know the hose is submerged to a depth of 8 cm. If you want to check for a different pressure, just change the depth to that pressure. For example, a mark 12 cm from the end would be used to check for a pressure of 12 cm. The bubbles should stop at a depth of 12 cm. Any deeper and there are no bubbles, any shallower and there are bubbles.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2012, 10:25 PM)Sleepster Wrote: See what happens after a couple of weeks of sleeping with the new machine before you fiddle with the settings. Chances are the pressure on your old machine was not set properly to 8 cm.

Okay thanks. My first night with the new machine was frustrating. The controls are minimal. A left button, a right button, and an on/off (or "option") button instead of a knob. My old CPAP didn't have a display so to speak. Just two lights on the side. A green one to indiate it was turned on, and a yellow one if the ramp was active.
My wife wasn't prepared for all the lights and razzle dazzle of the REMstar so I had to dig through the documentation to dim the lights. I will admit that once I got settled I think I slept through the night.
As for the memory card, let's see... Ah. Something's written to it. It says "P-Series" - I didn't know what "series" I had. Last.txt lists the serial number, with a folder that bears the same number. I wasn't able to set the date/time on the machine, the time stamps all bear today's date. Midnight. I have to get up at 5AM tomorrow morning. I'll see how tonight goes. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
In order to understand if treatment is working, you'll need more than one night. If you have a data capable machine, wait about ten to 14 days before you reach any conclusions based on data. It's about the same amount of time if you are going by how you feel.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Tonight I visualize at least 50% of the people that read this topic lugging a bucket of water into the bedroom to assure themselves that this experiment works. Dielaughing
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ugly,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck getting your pressure set on your machine to your liking.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2012, 05:39 PM)JudgeMental Wrote: Tonight I visualize at least 50% of the people that read this topic lugging a bucket of water into the bedroom to assure themselves that this experiment works. Dielaughing

I was seriously considering it! If I had some clear hose, I would have. Is that good or bad?? Eat-popcorn Thinking-about
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 40 3,216 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,959 348,897 11 hours ago
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 317 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 181 28,811 03-10-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,069 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Philips SD Card Format Question Crimson Nape 1 225 02-16-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 754 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.