Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Philips REMstar SE
RE: Philips REMstar SE
(11-01-2012, 07:10 PM)Sleepster Wrote: You'll not get those instructions from Respironics. They direct their suppliers to remove the clinician's manuals before giving the machine to their patients.

Apnea Board makes great efforts to make these clinician manuals available, but I don't think we have one yet for the SE.

Do we? Anyone? Anyone?

Unfortunately that's what I found. The email reply from when I requested a manual stated that a manual would be mailed directly to the company I work for. It seemed to be worded in such a way that I felt I couldn't "invent" a company for them to send it to - Actually I'm glad to get rid of that beast. I hated it anyhow. Despite the fact that the ResMed S9 Escape isn't any more favoured by the people here, it was easier to use and the clinician menu was easy enough to find. For now I just changed the time due to the return to Eastern Standard Time. But my contact at VitalAire, when setting the initial pressure made sure I couldn't see what she was doing. I have, however, felt more rested this morning and will give this another week. As for opting for a "better" model, our government may "look" generous but it's only a facade. Just like with eyeglasses, those of us on a disability income are offered the least expensive of the lot - take it or leave it. Anything more, I would have to pay the difference and financially I'm not up to it. Still I regard this as considerably superior to the REMstar SE. Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
It should be easy to set the pressure on that machine.

The only bad thing about that machine is that it doesn't report the data you need to be able to monitor the effectiveness of your therapy. It can't tell you your leak rate and it can't tell you your AHI.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2012, 11:58 PM)Sleepster Wrote: It should be easy to set the pressure on that machine.

Hey, if a DME can do it, anyone can. We just need to know the trick. Push and hold which buttons, remove the power cord, sing Dixie, or what?

However, I expect one of these days, they'll make it so you can only change the settings with some program or tool us peons can't get a copy of. For instance, only through the SD card, and only with the clinician's only CPAP setting software.

They'll claim it's for patient safety, but of course, it generates more revenue for doctors and DMEs.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2012, 08:21 PM)archangle Wrote:
(11-06-2012, 11:58 PM)Sleepster Wrote: It should be easy to set the pressure on that machine.

Hey, if a DME can do it, anyone can. We just need to know the trick. Push and hold which buttons, remove the power cord, sing Dixie, or what?

However, I expect one of these days, they'll make it so you can only change the settings with some program or tool us peons can't get a copy of. For instance, only through the SD card, and only with the clinician's only CPAP setting software.

They'll claim it's for patient safety, but of course, it generates more revenue for doctors and DMEs.

WTF is a DME?
Safety? It's like a politician. Blows hot air.
I'm monitoring things right now. Sure I realize I can't get full stats with my machine but it's more informative than my retired beast.
Right now I want to see if I still snore with it, how rested I feel in the morning, etc.

One thing that wasn't mentioned with SleepyHead, it seems to be incompatible with ResScan in which they seem to want to overwrite each others' data. Or am I imagining this? Then again I guess there is no real reason to use both programs, is there? I suppose I'll have to still rely on my wife to tell me if I snore or stop breathing. But such is the life. I mean, on a low income I really am at the mercy of what they offer at no extra cost since the extra cost would be limiting at the moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2012, 06:16 PM)Ugly Wrote: WTF is a DME?

One thing that wasn't mentioned with SleepyHead, it seems to be incompatible with ResScan in which they seem to want to overwrite each others' data. Or am I imagining this? Then again I guess there is no real reason to use both programs, is there? I suppose I'll have to still rely on my wife to tell me if I snore or stop breathing. But such is the life. I mean, on a low income I really am at the mercy of what they offer at no extra cost since the extra cost would be limiting at the moment.

Durable Medical Equipment provider. Insurance/Medical jargon. Basically a CPAP dealer.

SleepyHead and ResScan shouldn't interfere with each other. I think you can set ResScan to erase the data from your SD card after you read it, but I don't think that's the default, and there's no real reason to do so. S9 machines will never fill up even a 2 GB data card.

It's useful to have both, especially if you have a full data machine. Sometimes something that is confusing in one program is clearer in the other program. Or one program may show you some things the other one doesn't.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

Sometimes it seems like alphabet soup.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2012, 11:20 AM)JudgeMental Wrote: I'll echo what the Sleepster says:: lay off worrying about trying to tweak before you try it for a couple of weeks to see if you improve any.
The old timer (machine) may have just been getting tired.

Also, since you have just gotten the new RemStar, I would go back to the dealer (whereever) you got the machine and see if they can give you a model that is complete data capable. Since you are interested in your knowledge about CPAP and its therapy, then I'm sure that you would be much better off with a complete data capable machine that you can download software (which is avbl for free) and check your statistics.

While theResMed S9 Escape is apparently not completely data capable it's adequate and certainly better than I used to have it.
The Tranqulity Quest offered NO data. And as such it appears that I have no ongoing doctor appointments. I have requested to see my otolaryngologist and was told I have to go through my GP first. THAT appointment isn't until December. Who knows when I'll see the doctor finally for what may be a five minute explanation as to why my pressure stayed at 8.

On the plus side, I haven't had any instances of not being able to breathe when lying down since I ditched my Tranqulity Quest unit. Maybe it really was more flaky than I thought and replacing it was all I needed.

However, after 6-8 hours of sleep (my old machine offerd no "data" and thus didn't list how long I used it) I am not always feeling rested and will discuss that with him. And of course, as a major plus thanks to this website, I don't have to make another appointment for VitalAire (where I got my CPAP) since I can do it myself. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 Escape only keeps track of hours used. That's it. And, as a long time CPAP user, you deserve better than that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2012, 01:31 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The S9 Escape only keeps track of hours used. That's it. And, as a long time CPAP user, you deserve better than that.

Fact is, IF VitalAire honours this second return, it appears that the S9 AutoSet is up to $300 more than the Escape and I would probably be responsible for the difference. I don't have that.
Consider that I have had a machine that provided NO data all this time. It's not as if I "need" it. And I don't have regular visits to my Otolaryngologist. Just when I sense my CPAP isn't doing its job anymore. Like recently. This means I don't have anyone to give such data TO. Heck I've never even used a data (SD) card with it until the past two or three weeks. So in other words I'm not desperate. I could possibly get a higher end machine but I know I won't get funding for it. Ontario government standards for us "little guys" is to give us the least expensive options. If we want better, we pay the difference. I can't. And besides, compared to the initial attempt, the REMstar SE, I'm delighted with the S9 Escape in comparison.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2012, 10:45 PM)Ugly Wrote: Fact is, IF VitalAire honours this second return, it appears that the S9 AutoSet is up to $300 more than the Escape and I would probably be responsible for the difference. I don't have that.

See if you can get the S9 Elite, or the Philips Respironics System One Remstar Pro (model 450P or 460P) for a price you can afford. Getting a data-capable machine is something that will increase the effectiveness of your therapy. You'll be able to adjust the pressure to the setting that works best for you, and readjust it later if need be.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,845 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,202 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 379 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,125 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Philips SD Card Format Question Crimson Nape 1 236 02-16-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.