Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Philips Respironics Remstar system 1
Philips Respironics Remstar system 1
I have had Philips Respironics Remstar system 1 CPAP and humidifier for about two years. During this period I have changed out the CPAP twice and also borrowed 2 loan machines (also Philips). The loan machines worked quite well with the heated climate control tube coming up to temperature circa 30 degrees C at temperature setting 5 and the humidifier at setting 3. Unfortunately the two machines I purchased, performed very differently, if the heated tube came on at all it was for only 5-10 minutes (at the beginning) and then it would then go off for the rest of the night,this resulted in noisy rain out and dry mouth/nose and disturbed sleep. In order to build a case for replacement, I put temperature monitors on the tube close to the mask and I certainly demonstrated that for both the two purchased CPAPs the heated tube was actually turning off and not coming back on, also under similar conditions for the loan machines, the temperature of the heated tube continued to rise to circa 30 deg C and stay on. I plotted the results on a graph.

My theory on the what is causing the problem is that the temperature sensor within the CPAP is not properly calibrated and is in fact reading a higher room temperature than actual. I have sent these machines back and the technicians say that there is nothing wrong with the machines, however I doubt whether they have the necessary equipment to diagnose a temperature calibration problem.

I really need the heated tube to work as it helps break down nasal congestion caused by allergies. Without the heated tube I get very poor sleep and my Doctor has warned me about the long term effects.

Has anyone else had experience with this problem on Philips CPAP machines?

I have also experienced quite a lot of variation in humidifier water consumption, this could also be a room temperature issue however heating the bedroom at night to circa 21 deg C did seem to make any difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Respironics Remstar system 1
Hi Spencer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question but hang in there, someone who is familiar with your machine will be along to help you.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting your humidifier problem straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Respironics Remstar system 1
Water variation is not unknown, as the humidifier's algorithm takes into account incoming air humidity and room temperature. Once you use the heated hose system, you will see a lot more variance than in the unheated hose system, as that is also brought into account and adjusts accordingly. As an example, when not using a heated hose, my humidifier uses at setting four around a half tank in the night in a room heated to around 25c - when using the heated hose (only in winter for me) at setting 3 it takes around a third of a tank, even though the winter air is far drier. Both are for around 6 hours sleep.

However, you should also check your humidifier settings - there are various settings (System One Humidification On/Off, etc) that tell the humidifier to behave in various ways, and that may be part of your problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 55 4,891 Yesterday, 02:12 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,208 Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 359,261 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 113 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
  Inspire system JThammer 15 382 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,830 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 6 7,022 03-30-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Ron LI

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.