Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CA Clusters
MoritzP99 - Therapy Thread
Hi guys,
my APAP already helped me tremendously, but I would still like to improve. Can you help me? Note that I don't have a prescribed pressure range since I bought the CPAP on my own after the sleep study diagnosed me with an AHI of 97 and I couldn't wait 4 months for insurance to approve the device.
Thanks a lot in advance and greetings from Vienna 

Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help me interpret my CPAP data and improve
You need to investigate why your chin is tucking and causing what we call positional apnea. Eliminate the possibility of excess pillows and if necessary move to a soft cervical collar, or pull a corner of your pillow between your shoulder and jaw. Increase minimum pressure to 9.0 with EPR 3 and don't use ramp.
positional apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
soft cervical collar http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much,

what should my max. pressure be? And is turning off ramp really necessary? 

Thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally I'd set your max pressure to 20, the machines max.  You should not approach that pressure unless something changes, that would be a flag that says something should likely need to be adjusted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, MoritzP99

It's not absolutely necessary to turn ramp off if you feel it's essential.  However, there some downsides:  the pressure level during ramp is less than half what you need, so you're not getting treatment during that time, and also EPR can't work properly at that level, since 4 is the lowest the machine goes.  Furthermore, most adults feel they are not getting enough air when the pressure is below 6.  So getting off ramp should at least be a goal.

Here's a video that explains some of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hAUkOk9vwQ

You have it on Auto, so it probably isn't staying on for that long, but it's going to restart the ramp if you get up for bathroom break or whatever.

Please take good care and enjoy your beautiful city!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp on Auto is often a good choice, and there is no reason to leave the Ramp Start pressure at 4. I think you would be more comfortable falling asleep with the Ramp Start pressure set to 6. After a while, youu may find that the lower start pressure isn't needed; Ieventually ended up starting at 11, with no ramp at all. Just an example, not a goal.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much, I was now able to get my AHI down to 8, is there anything else I can do? I have already switched to 1 pillow, haven't tried the collar yet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The answer is pretty simple. once you start using a collar, you should see a significant change. Your apnea is clearly mostly obstructive and is occurring in clusters.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Events rising
    Hi guys,

so in the last few days my AHI has been climbing up from 10 to 20. It seems to mostly stem from CA, but I would like you to take a look. Any suggestions welcome. I also tried a soft cervical collar one night but it didn't decrease my AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: MoritzP99 - Therapy Thread
Do you have a chart from the night you tried the soft cervical collar? We have frequently seen that the collar sometimes takes several nights to achieve efficacy as there is a training effect. Your current chart shows a very high complex AHI, and unfortunately not a very clear path forward. For CA events we would usually suggest reducing EPR and for obstructive apnea, increasing pressure. You can achieve both of those end-points by just reducing EPR to 1 to see what happens. This will increase the minimum exhale pressure to 8.0 and reduce ventilation CO2 exchange by reducing the EPR pressure difference.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 84 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  Help Interpreting Oscar Charts - Huge Clusters of OA Heaviside 3 378 02-22-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 823 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,057 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Will an ASV machine help eliminate my CSA/CSR clusters ? barney999 8 1,001 07-12-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: barney999
  Clusters, collars and tennis balls. Expat31 7 864 07-19-2022, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  Event clusters DanEm 5 942 04-05-2022, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.