Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Possible Issue? Using a lot more water than before 3-5x
Possible Issue? Using a lot more water than before 3-5x
Hi 

I have been using a Resmed 10 with an Airfit F20 mask and climate heated line for the past month, in the last week or so, my humidifier water usage has gone up tremendously 3-5x more and not sure why, the leak stats don't seem to be any different/worse. 

The only thing I notice and not sure if it happened before is I am aware of cooler air coming out of the mask, its around the area where the tube from the cpap machine goes into the frame of the mask. (at one point the frame came out of the mask and i put it back in). The air isn't at a very high pressure and doesn't make any sound, and its different than when the mask leaks as that makes a sound. 

Any idea of what could be happening? or things to check. 

Thanks 

Shri 

I can put photos of screenshots from Oscar not sure thats relevant for this issue
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Possible Issue? Using a lot more water than before 3-5x
Could be the air is just drier in your house and therefore the machine creates more.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you're experiencing cold weather that requires your home heat system to turn on, it may contribute to drier indoor air which would take more water from the humidifier tub.

The other: the light pressure cool air may be the humidifier cool down feature after nightly use. ResMed has a blue blinking snowflake on the display to alert you to this being active.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think its that the air is drier as this is all within the last month and weather hasn't changed and haven't changed the heating setting. The lighter cooler air is right around where the mask connects to the hose (I wonder if its supposed to let out some air or if its a leak). And I am notsure if its cool down after use, as its happening right away when I start the machine.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
sndraco Wrote:The lighter cooler air is right around where the mask connects to the hose (I wonder if its supposed to let out some air or if its a leak).

Yes, that air is supposed to come out there. This is the mask vent, and its purpose is to flush away the air you exhale. If it wasn't there you'd breathe your own exhaled breath and end up with a CO2 overload.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh-jeez Oh yeah the mask vent. Apparently Dave's mask vent doesn't work well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in N. AZ., and the humidity is usually on the low side. I use the humidifier all the time. Water consumption can and does vary greatly. 

For the most part, I set my control on auto and forget about it. I've tried changing the humidity settings and it just doesn't seem to make all that much difference. 

Even on auto, from one night to the next, water usage is different. I gave up trying to figure it all out some time back.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting thing is that I live in SF so its not that low humidity, and the change in usage is huge ie 3x to 5x as in need to fill every 10 days vs. every 2 days.

S
Post Reply Post Reply
Some users on here will use more than that and cannot survive a night on a tub of water. It is all dependant on the humidity, temp setting heated tube, pressure and leaks. All factors that can vary night to night and user to user so we will not be able to say what’s normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Side note, after 10 days in the humidifier that water probably wasn't very fresh
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 102 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.