Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Pressure vs Bipap
RE: CPAP Pressure vs Bipap
I completely disagree with Ron AKA, and I'll just leave it at that other than recall Walla once said Ron never saw a pressure he didn't want to raise.

Nadprok, your events appear to be all central, and you don't tolerate pressure increases, which don't do you any good since there is no obstruction occurring. I think you do pretty good with the pressure support and starting pressure of 8.8 EPAP with PS 2.4. I don't propose CPAP, but I do think fixed bilevel (BiPAP-S) is perhaps going to be more comfortable, and may help avoid the therapy breaks. To get those settings, just leave EPAP min at 8.8 and set EPAP max at 8.8 and leave PS at 2.4. Alternatively, change mode to VPAP-S and set EPAP to 8.8 and IPAP to 11.2. This will keep pressure constant, but preserve the feeling of different EPAP and IPAP pressure.

If anything, we will watch your results for an opportunity to REDUCE pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2018, 08:07 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If anything, we will watch your results for an opportunity to REDUCE pressure.

Actually, to be accurate, my suggestion was to REDUCE the pressure. Currently median IPAP is at 11.5 cm, and EPAP at 9 cm. If you set EPAP at 10 cm, and REDUCE pressure support to 0, then the maximum treatment pressure is REDUCED by 1.5 cm. This EPAP setting has the potential to address the flow limitation before it causes arousal and as a result gain a better sleep. And at the same time maximum mask pressure is REDUCED which may improve sleep quality too. And, I suggested that if it worked at that setting, there may be a potential to further REDUCE EPAP in small steps.

What this ignores however is the reason that a BiPAP machine was considered necessary in the first place, and I haven't seen it, although there may be one, that requires the pressure support to be restored.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bilevel is often prescribed and allowed when a patient does not tolerate CPAP. Most likely she was started at fixed pressure on a machine that could not provide EPR, and found she was unable to sleep. The Resmed Airsense CPAPs can produce up to 3-cm of pressure difference between IPAP and EPAP which will increase comfort, although it does not have the control to simulate pressure support between 1, 2 or 3 cm, or higher. I agree, it seems unusual that bilevel is used at these pressures and generally low PS, but I think it gives us some flexibility we would not have with CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK , Sleeprider and Ron AKA thanks for your input . I have set my bipap to S mode and set  EPAP at 8.8 and IPAP  at 11.2 . I will try those settings tonight and see how I make out . 

Incidentally Sleeprider  in your last reply you refer to me as She .  Too-funny I am a He and not a She .
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe in equal opportunity apnea

In S more be sure to enable Easy Breathe if available
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider , last night I set my bipap in S mode and set my EPAP at 8.8 and my EPAP at 11.2 and 0 pressure support . The result for last night was an AHI of 1.4 which is within the range I have been having , usually 1.5 or less . All of the events were Centrals . I believe I may have slept  a bit better.

I notice that my flow limitations were 0.11 for the whole night . I have not had any flow limitations greater than 0.03 in the past . I am curious to know why the big increase .

I would also like to mention that the machine settings shown in the left sidebar are incorrect . I find that any changes to machine settings are not reflected in the left sidebar until the second day . Why, I don't know .

I am attaching some charts from last night .

What do you suggest for tonight ? Keep the same settings or do you have other ideas ?

Thanks for all your help .

[attachment=5536] [attachment=5537] [attachment=5538]  [attachment=5539]
Post Reply Post Reply
Being comfortable is the most important matter because you are effectively treated. If I was trying to reduce CA events, and had no obstructive events, I would reduce pressure support, or the IPAP over EPAP difference. You are at 11.2 over 8.8, so my next move would be 11.0 over 8.8. Move IPAP pressure slowly downward and see if the CA events are reduced. If your need the 2.4 PS for comfort, the I would reduce both IPAP and EPAP in small increments (11.2/8.8, 11.0/8.6, 10.8/8.4) until obstructive events occur.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I think you have three issues to resolve in your setup.

1. What EPAP pressure do you need to limit the number of OA and H events? Based on one nights result it seems 8.8 is more than enough. However what will it be over several nights? You can only find out through trial and error.

2. Do you benefit from Pressure Support? Again trial and error is about the only way to find out. After you have settled on an EPAP you may want to do some reductions to see what happens.

3. Last in S mode you essentially have a CPAP machine with adjustable Pressure Support. If you determine in step 2 that you don't benefit from Pressure Support then you really do have a basic CPAP machine again. What you may find out is that the EPAP pressure you need varies a bit over time. If that is the case you may want to consider going back to the VAuto mode, and allow the machine to adjust the EPAP somewhat, so you can cover that range of EPAP needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider and Ron AKA I thank you for your advice . You are a great help . I will change my settings for tonight to 11 and 8.8 and see what happens .
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure? PaulaO2 16 3,215 52 minutes ago
Last Post: jiyun
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 319 04-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,172 04-16-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 158 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 228 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 374 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 250 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.