Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Pressure vs. Volume
RE: CPAP Pressure vs. Volume
Click the image to see a larger version of it. Attachments are usually quite small.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 05:58 PM)Bazinga Wrote: Jumpstart, I think the idea Zimlich had about not being able to inflate a balloon (or a dirigible, or the lungs) is valid. The missing variable, I believe, in the Boyle's Law conundrum, is that with CPAP, there is an ever-flowing air exhaust port on the mask interface, so the increase in the lung pressure is nil, or volume is dependent only on the person's inspiratory effort (not the CPAP), whereas in mechanical ventilation, there is an endotracheal intubation tube that seals off the trachea by way of an inflatable balloon. That is how the ventilator is able to "blow the lungs up" like a balloon. Big Grin

The exhaust port is, as I understand it, used to avoid the otherwise deadly CO2 buildup which would occur if our exhalation did not have an escape mechanism. It does not, as far as I know, reduce the pressure provided at the airway - if it did, cpap would be rather useless in providing a "splint", IMO. I believe that if the exhaust port did as you suggest, ie, allows no pressure to the airway, that I am wasting my time on this infernal machine! Unless I have pressure in the airway, there is no method for holding tissue or tongue, and that pressure must go to the lungs, unless I have a leak somewhere between my airway and lung. :grin: But the issue is NOT that a ventilator provides a higher pressure - of course it does. The most recently discussed issue seems to be whether a cpap provides any pressure at the lungs - and I contend it does.

I seem to recall in another recent thread that someone determined that 20 cm/H2O is significantly less than 1 psi - more like .250 in round (and possible poorly recalled) numbers. If so, the ventilator which runs to 80 cmH20 would roughly go to an amazing 1 psi.

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
So, this raises a question for me as a total newbie, that someone here might answer: Does the CPAP machine adjust its flow output depending upon resistance encountered (whether by the balloon, or by the nose, mouth and throat) to maintain a constant pressure with varying topography or body "architecture"? The physics of CPAP is fascinating, but certainly not my forte!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 06:27 PM)Bazinga Wrote: So, this raises a question for me as a total newbie, that someone here might answer: Does the CPAP machine adjust its flow output depending upon resistance encountered (whether by the balloon, or by the nose, mouth and throat) to maintain a constant pressure with varying topography or body "architecture"? The physics of CPAP is fascinating, but certainly not my forte!

short answer is no. cpap = constant pressure. normally your pressure is high enough to push thru all apneas by opening the airway. if it encounters one above your set pressure it won't open. it will not add more pressure to open the airway. this is why setting the correct pressure is so important. now in an automatic cpap (called apap), the machine starts at a low set pressure and raises enough to open the airway within the pressure range you set. once again why it is so important to get the right pressure. with the balloon, the pressure needed to inflate it was more than 20 so it didn't inflate just like the throat wouldn't open if your pressure was too low. does that help?

welcome to the forum.....
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
A 'straight' CPAP will push out it's set pressure no matter what. So if the setting is 12, it will push 12. I don't think it cares if there is resistance. I don't think it pushes harder when it finds resistance.

An 'auto' CPAP will increase the actual pressure in response to a blockage. So if the setting is 12, it will slowly increase the pressure (13, 14, etc) until the airway is clear.

I think.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
i did some quick research. the average toy balloon inflated is 1 or 2 psi. 1 psi = 27.7"/ h2o. so the balloon would require 70.4 - 140.8 cm/h2o pressure to inflate. no wonder 20 didn't affect it.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the thread I was looking for. For those wishing to do there own pressure trials,

(04-12-2012, 02:00 PM)mckevin32 Wrote: According to the calculator here, a pressure of 20 cm/h2o translates to only .284 psi.

And, 80cmH20 is only 1.138 psi!

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 06:27 PM)Bazinga Wrote: So, this raises a question for me as a total newbie, that someone here might answer: Does the CPAP machine adjust its flow output depending upon resistance encountered (whether by the balloon, or by the nose, mouth and throat) to maintain a constant pressure with varying topography or body "architecture"? The physics of CPAP is fascinating, but certainly not my forte!

Yes. It has to make huge adjustments to the flow rate to keep the pressure constant, maintaining that pressure splint is what it's all about when it comes to CPAP therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your reasoning is correct - in a static situation.  Any air pressure exerted against a closed/rigid container will be constant from one machine to the next.  But lungs are not a closed/rigid container.  Airflow capability of the machine, e.g., in cfm (cubic feet per minute) does come into play.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 147 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,424 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 236 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 277 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.