Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Pro no-mask tubing replacement
CPAP Pro no-mask tubing replacement
Hello everybody. I'm hoping for some advice on where to look for replacement tubing.

I use the CPAP Pro no-mask system (mouthpiece rather than head gear) which is unusual in this way: two separate nasal pillows rather than one piece with two openings, two thin tubes that fit into a collar, the collar fits into the main tubing.

Here's the issue: the pair of tubes that attach to the separate nasal pillows are very fragile and constantly springing holes and splitting. The company which makes CPAP Pro has a corner on this market, apparently. Which is how they can charge $45 for two tubes that can't cost them more than $1. I have no problem with them making a decent profit, but this feels like exploitation. For somebody with severe sleep apnea, this is not a vanity purchase, after all and as we don't have medical insurance, it all comes out of our (quite shallow) pockets.

So I started researching medical grade, flexible, corrugated tubing (9mm internal diameter; 12mm external diameter), and I have to admit that it's all really confusing out there in medical supply land. I don't mind buying a lot of the stuff at once -- the tubing splits so often that I end up replacing it every month or so -- if I could only find it. I'm also on the lookout for the single nasal pillows (for which the company charges a whopping $45 a set), but the tubing is more crucial at this point.

Can anybody suggest where to find this kind of tubing? Thanks for whatever information you may be able to share.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Pro no-mask tubing replacement
Ouch. Well, hmm. My first thoughts are for you to try another mask. If the tubing breaks down that easily, then they charge so much for the replacements, continuing to use their product reinforces them for this bad behavior.

However, since finding the right mask is so difficult for all of us, and if this mask works well for you, then...

I did a Google search for the mask and found it. Weird looking thing!

Then I found a supplier online that sells the replacement hoses for only $30. Supplier #3 on our supplier list. I found the parts listing on their page for the mask.

I also noticed that the mask is the most expensive one they sell. The next cheapest nasal pillow mask is 50 bucks cheaper. You really ought to consider another mask. If it is that dang expensive but made out of such crappy materials, I'd not buy another.

While you are there, look at the other masks that have similar hoses. Then see if they sell the hoses as parts.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula --

Changing masks would be the easiest solution, but it's just not a viable option. This odd looking mask is the only one that works for me with any reliability. Before I had this one -- never mind, you've heard all the horror stories.

I'm afraid I've already done all the research you've suggested, but nobody who sells CPAP supplies has anything even close to these tubes. Which is why I started again with this search string:

medical grade flexible corrugated tubing respiratory

And in fact I got a lot of hits. Too many. Different kinds of silicon, different weights. All I can say with confidence is the diameter, but the material? No idea. And of course CPAP Pro isn't going to tell me. So I suppose I was hoping that somebody here would know about the technical aspects of medical grade tubing.

Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Thanks for your quick reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the supplier I mentioned has those tubes for sale. The ones that are made for that mask. $30. It is less than the manufacturer will sell them.

You can contact the supplier I mentioned (#3 in the supplier's list) and ask them for information. It is possible they would tell you.

Medical grade tubing is a huge assortment. Narrowing it down without going to a store and saying "I need this" would be nearly impossible. And then to find the appropriate ends? Duct tape can only do so much in this case.

And yeah, I know about the mask finding. A lot of us go through a ton of the dang things before we finally find one that works.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would suggest that you purchase the least expensive 9-mm tubing you can find. My guess it that the more expensive stuff is made for special duty such as oxygen lines, high pressure, or other such things that have to be leak proof and have to stand up to chemicals that might cause them to fail. You're just pumping extremely low pressure air through yours. It probably doesn't even need to be corrugated.

Have you tried looking in a hardware store or home center?

When all else fails try duct tape. <just kidding, really, well, sort of>
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi abbas12142 ... welcome to the forum
assume from the software "SilverLining" listed in your profile that you,re using Goodknight 420 machine
Puritan Bennett Manuals available via Email (scroll down to section three)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Moderator Note: Zonk was being nice and trying to help someone. That someone turned out to be a spammer and the post was deleted. Zonk's response may help someone else in the future so I am leaving it here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to everyone. I'll let you know what I'm able to track down.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if you are still looking for a less expensive alternative, but I had the same frustration with those tubes. The corrugated plastic was so thin and flimsy that it almost tore if I sneezed. I asked myself what else would work. I found some 3/8 inch food grade silicone tubing on Amazon for about $2 per foot. It's from a company which specializes in beer brewing equipment. As such, it is pretty impervious to the elements or even cleaning with alcohol.

It fits perfectly on the swivel unit I had. I cut off the non-corrugated end of the original No-Mask hoses where the nasal pillow attaches. Since the silicone tubing can stretch, I squeezed the pieces I cut off part way into the other end of the silicone tube. I then cut a small vent hole the same size as the original tube in each new silicone tube using a dremel rotary tool. The green foam bands from the original tubes can be slipped down over the vent like on the original, and the nasal pillows attached to the old tube tips. The new tubes fit the original clips in the mouthpiece. For about $6 of tubing and about $8 shipping, I ended up with a pair of tubes that look like they will outlast the rest of the unit. They are more flexible, longer, and don't show any signs of wear or tear after 6 months of use.

I bought my tubing on Amazon, but I'm sure you can find the same or similar stuff at your local medical supply houses or any store that sells equipment for home brewing beer. Just tell them you need 3/8 inch food grade or medical grade silicone tubing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,825 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 204 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,126 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,901 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,796 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.