Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Question
CPAP Question
Hi all,

I'm 27 years old and received my Airsense 10 yesterday and used it for the first time last night. The mask I received is a Mirage FX that only covers my nose. Knowing that I am a mouth breather, I also wore a chin strap last night in order to stop my mouth from opening. My question is, tonight, I'd like to only use the CPAP with the Mirage mask. Is the CPAP still helpful if I end up breathing through my mouth at night? FYI, my doctor did not tell me to wear the additional chin strap, that is something I decided to do on my own.

Thanks for your help! btw i wore it for about 6.5 hours last night and feel pretty good today!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Question
Welcome to the forum. Your therapy will not be effective if you use a nasal mask and breath through your mouth. Do you know if the chin strap stopped you from exhaling through your mouth? In my case I still exhale through my teeth and lips even with my mouth closed with a chin strap. The solution for me was a full face mask. The other option is taping your mouth which doesn't appeal to me. There is a method of training your tongue to  prevent breathing through your mouth but it has never worked for me. I use the Resmed AirFit F20 full face mask . I find it very comfortable but that may not be the case for you. Finding the right mask is one of the biggest challenges.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response. You know I'm not sure if the chin strap stops the breathing through my mouth, I just know it holds my jaw close. I think I will ask my doctor if I can switch to a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
you don't really need your doctors permission unless he specified a nasal mask in your prescription. You, should ask for a copy of your prescrition so you can purchase masks and other components wherever you choose. You should also request a copy of your complete sleep study, not just the summary, for your records.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2019, 12:43 PM)associate123 Wrote: Thank you for your response. You know I'm not sure if the chin strap stops the breathing through my mouth, I just know it holds my jaw close. I think I will ask my doctor if I can switch to a full face mask.

If you're quite secure that your nasal mask is not leaking (it's not letting air flow past and into your eyes or across your forehead, as examples), and if OSCAR shows fairly significant leaks that are not quite enough to trigger a 'large leak' alert, then there's an excellent chance you are letting air escape from between your lips, chin strap or no. 

That's a long sentence.  Most of us know when we have pretty stiff leaking going on.  Not always, though.  OSCAR will show what is going on.  If your AHI each morning is low and acceptable, and if there's no indication of unacceptable leak rates, then you're good.  Try it without the chin strap and look for a consistent change in leak rates in OSCAR over several nights.  

As Melman says, mouth breathing that is uncontrolled doesn't do wonders for successful therapy.  A little maybe, but too much just circumvents the entire regimen. It must be controlled.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was only going to contact my doctor to see if they would swap it out. Or should I contact the supply provider, Apria, to switch it out? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you guys for your help. Last night I used my chin strap as well as my nasal mask and attached are my results. Do you guys think I should try the mask tonight without my chin strap and compare results? My chin strap is so darn uncomfortable.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I was told from a friend that for mouth breathers, the nasal tubes (rather than a mask) work wonders. But it sounds as if you guys are saying, if any air comes out of my mouth, therapy will not be as successful?
Post Reply Post Reply
if you are a mouth breather, you will likely have trouble with a nasal mask without taking extra measures. I use a nasal pillow mask. I get pfff pfff pfff type lip leaks all night long if I don't wear a soft cervical collar. I understood that the collar would help with jaw dropping open mouth but was skeptical that it would help with lip leaks. I can't explain how but it does. not 100% but way better than without. with a beard/mustache I can't successfully tape and the half dozen or so full face and nasal masks I've tried have all failed the leak test. I haven't tried a chin strap but many of them pull the lower jaw back which is counterproductive to keeping the airway open. then there's the tongue suck method that I don't seem to be able to master but apparently many people have.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I will look into the soft cervical collar!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 975 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 293 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 498 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 985 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Question about reliability of the CPAP data zynsa 4 661 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zynsa
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 641 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP function question - basic stuff... Mandrake 11 1,189 01-10-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Mandrake

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.