Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Question about Hypopneas
Question about Hypopneas
Hello all,
I'm new to CPAP, so forgive me if I ask a dumb question.  A bit about myself first:  I was diagnosed with moderate OSA about 4 years ago with an untreated AHI of 22.  I was not keen to try CPAP at that time, so I used an oral appliance for several years.  Initially the appliance got my AHI down to 7, but subsequently the AHI under treatment rose to 18, despite advancing the oral appliance to as far as my jaw would allow.  So I've decided to give CPAP a try, and so far, it has been OK.  My question has to do with whether Hypopneas are fixed/addressed/ cured by CPAP therapy.  From my reading, I understand that the Hypopneas have nothing to do with airway obstruction, but just a 'failure to breathe'.  So I'm wondering if CPAP can or will fix that?

I am using a nasal pillow (Airfit N30) and a Phillips Respironics Dreamstation.  While I have the trial ongoing, I plan to also try a Resmed Airsense auto, and I may consider other masks or aids as well. 

I am attaching an summary of my results so far.  As you can see the Hypopneas are the greatest remaining abnormality to address, so hence my question - will they get better, or is it outside the ability of CPAP to address?

Thanks for any advice or shared experience.

Brian

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about Hypopneas
(03-17-2020, 11:50 AM)YYCBrian Wrote: My question has to do with whether Hypopneas are fixed/addressed/ cured by CPAP therapy.  From my reading, I understand that the Hypopneas have nothing to do with airway obstruction, but just a 'failure to breathe'. 

No, you're thinking of "central apneas." Hypopneas are just partial obstructions.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
While hypopneas can be central in nature, this seems to be very rare. Here is a Wiki on the subject:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Hypopnea
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for responding.  So if the hypopneas are not central, then CPAP can address them with some fine tuning?  Also, I am attaching a more detailed oscar report from last night on the chance that it helps with the interpretation.
Brian

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll give you a definite maybe.

EPAP pressure treats Obstructive apnea
Pressure Support, the difference between Exhale and Inhale pressure, is the best treatment for Flow Limits, RERAs, Hypopneas, and Snores, unfortunately, your machine does not provide this even with flex.

Central Apneas are NOT treated by your machine.  CA treatment with your machine is achieved by avoidance.

This leaves Pressure.  I would increase your min pressure to 7 then re-evaluate, looking at additional increases.

That said try the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, did I see Canada?  The AutoSet hor Her since the Ontario Health system classifies this machine as a CPAP, don't tell them they are wrong.

The AutoSet will be a MUCH, MUCH BETTER solution for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

Excellent Bonjour!  Thank you.  From what you say, I am beginning to think that trialing another brand of machine will be an important component of my learning journey.  While I'm awaiting that, I will work on adjusting the pressure on the machine I have.
Cheers,
Brian
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Help with Hypopneas! strugglingzombie 0 128 04-03-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: strugglingzombie
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 343 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 314 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 206 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Hypopneas resolved, CA's persist--help! AZAwake 5 501 01-20-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central Hypopneas suddenly! Kingsway 4 544 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed - mostly centrals & hypopneas - advice please :) sleepymum81 5 945 08-31-2023, 09:32 PM
Last Post: jwest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.