Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Question for those with the Airfit F30i mask
Question for those with the Airfit F30i mask
Does the F30i mask actually sit over your nose or just under it - I cannot tell from photos.  I have a dreamwear "full face" mask that really sits just under the nose and there is a hole that shoots air into the nose.  I'm hoping the airfit F30 is not like this and that it actually covers and sits on the nose and does not have the hole but I'm not sure since the hose is connected at the top, it may have to be made this way?  I felt like this type of mask made my nose blow up with air. In looking at more photos of the 30 at least it does seem to have the hole method where the air blows into the nose from an ovalish shaped hole at the top of the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question for those with the Airfit F30i mask
I got a 30 about 2yrs ago when new. I am a full face user so I tried this mask.

I never got used to the small oval holes that fit under the nostrils. It felt like air was leaking. I never felt like I was getting 90-100% of the therapy air. Moving/wiggling around in the bed pushed the mask a little off center. Had to readjust.

I stopped using it and went back to the ResMed F20. It might work for you but if you can use the 20, please try it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I just got the F20 and I like it but it hurts the bridge of my nose so I have to maybe figure out how to loosen it or get a larger size? It only hurts after I take it off. Have used for 3 nights and started happening on the second night after I had taken the mask apart just to see how to do it. Hope that didn't cause it.

Actually what is the difference between the F10 and F20 they look very similar?
Post Reply Post Reply
You might have the upper straps for the F20 too tight on your nose. I found loosening the top straps helps a lot as long as you aren't getting leaks. As for fit, the mask should have come with a fit guide to help you decide which size you need. You could also try the Airtouch cushion which is interchangeable with the Airfit and has soft foam around the face. Problem is that the foam cushion needs more careful cleaning and also needs to be replaced every 30 days. The F10 is narrower around the nose and has a different elbow than the F20. It also has clips instead of magnets for the bottom straps. Personally, I found the F20 more comfortable. I might be wrong, but I believe the F10 has been discontinued.

Edit: The F30i sits under the nose and around the mouth making it a full face mask. There are two openings under the nose for air and the mask kind of cradles the nose. The mask is connected on top and feeds air down each side of the head to the cushion. There is a video about the mask on the ResMed website along with video reviews on YouTube which might be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks - I did loosen the straps last night and it was better but then got a ton of leaks even though machine said fit was good?  I also ordered the airtouch mask.  I am thinking of trying out the F10 .  I like the F20 but with the leaks and trying to get the fit right.  I have watched the videos for the fit bit I still don’t know if doing it right.  At least it hurt my nose last night and I am comfortable sleeping, just had a few more CAs and leaks last night unfortunately.  I can’t do the F30 with the holes under the nose it is too awkward for me and ends up blowing air up my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the PR Amara View for two years, and then moved to the Dreamwear, after my F10 (original mask) ate a hole in the bridge of my nose. The Amara View has a terrible fit for anyone not "medium", and basically only comes in one size height/width wise -- the Small vs Medium vs Large is only different in how far your nose sticks out from your face. The Dreamwear has true size differences in the cushion, but it's still a bit of a struggle to keep sealed. And what's really different is the hose-on-top.

The F30i is very similar to the Dreamwear, but two main differences:
1) There is a lot more silicon around the cushion, so it has a much more forgiving fit.
2) The headgear is enormous, and it comes in only one size. Because the top is a tube rather than just a strap, it is totally not adjustable. And the weight of the elbow and hose cause the top to flop around, twist, kink the tubing, etc., because it's not anywhere near the top of my head. If I wear the headgear with the top laying over the top of my head, the two sides of the headgear end up covering my ears, and the cushion ends up with the mouth part over my chin and the top that's supposed to be under my nose under my lips. (Think of a 4-yr-old playing dressup with mommy's clothes.)

If there was some way to put the F30i silicon part on the Dreamwear cushion, it would be the perfect mask! Or if we could get ResMed to believe that people come in different sizes, that would be even better.

Now if you are a more average size than me, and it actually fits you, the F30i could be a very good choice...
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the F30 come in "for her" it seems like the others do!  Then maybe the headgear or frame are smaller, I don't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, ECM5. Welcome to the forum. 

The F30i is available with a small frame but as far as I can see, the small frame is only available with a small cushion. Other size cushions may not fit the small frame. 

In regards to the F10 vs the F20. The F10 was one of the first masks I used. It didn’t work out for me. It leaked too much no matter how I adjusted it. It also made my nose sore no matter how it was adjusted. The F20 has worked out much better for me. It seals better and is more comfortable than the F10 was. The F20 is made from softer, more flexible material than the F10. I’m using the F30 now, as opposed to the F30i, and it is working out very well. The F20 is now my backup mask. Most Full Face masks will leave marks on your face, even when properly adjusted.

I’ve learned the two top straps need to be the same length and the two bottom straps must be the same length, as close as you can get them. Top to bottom length differences don’t matter. I used to measure them but I’ve learned to do it by eye. Since your machine is saying your leaks are OK you are getting close. If the mask is sitting crooked on your face it can cause a leak. It may be worthwhile comparing the lengths of the two pairs of straps.

The mask fit feature can be your best friend when adjusting a mask.

Adjust in small increments. About 1/8” at a time works well. Be sure to adjust both top or both bottom straps in order to keep them even. Again, differences in top and bottom straps aren’t an issue. 

For leaks you can’t tell where they’re coming from, you can take two fingers and gently press on the mask near where the straps connect to the mask on the top and then again on the bottom, while wearing the mask and it is under pressure. 

When you adjust your mask, it is a good idea to double check the ends of the straps to make sure the hook and loop fasteners are secure.  I check them every night before putting on the mask. A strap coming loose in the middle of the night can really mess up a good nights sleep.  

It just takes time and patience to learn how to adjust your mask. Hang in there it will get easier.

Hope this helps,
Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve noticed you have a couple other threads. We prefer all treatment related posts be kept in one thread. This would be a good one since your questions about your mask are directly related to your treatment being successful. This is to help other member help you easier. This post explains it in more detail Keep your stuff together. The other threads will be OK, but too many could cause confusion. 

The administrators of the forum request that all members choose an avatar. It can be one you upload from your device or one of the many generic avatars available in your UserCP. You can add or change an avatar by clicking on UserCP in the top right hand corner of the page, then click on Change Avatar in the  Your Profile section of the menu on the left of the screen (UserCP/Your Profile/Change Avatar). 

Thanks,
Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are some other forums on Apnea Board you may be interested in. To get to them just click on Home in the header at the top of the most forum pages.

In the Public Area:
  • Main Apnea Board Forum. This is where all Sleep Apnea and CPAP related questions should be posted and where we are posting now. Remember it is requested you post all of your personal Sleep Apnea and CPAP related questions in the same thread in this forum.  CPAP and Sleep Apnea related questions and answers must be posted in this forum and not in private messages. Our PM was not related to treatment so does not fall under this requirement.
  • Software Support Forum. All CPAP related software questions should be posted in this forum. 
  • Off Topic Forum. This is a good place to ask questions about and discuss general topics unrelated to Sleep Apnea or CPAP. It is a good place to hang out and socialize with other members.
In the Private Area:
  • Forum Account Help. This forum has a lot of useful information on using the forum. It is the first place to go to look for answers and should be where questions are asked on using the forum. 
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 46 3,016 4 hours ago
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,561 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 983 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.