Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Questions before Buying
CPAP Questions before Buying
Hi Everyone,

First of all thank you to everyone for great support in this forum.

My father was diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea with AHI 8.9 overall and AHI 10.4 during REM stage.

The doctor is strongly recommending him to buy Auto CPAP and suggesting a pressure value of 8 if he is using manual CPAP.

I have some questions I will be thankful if I get some feedbacks.

1. Resmed Autoset 10 vs Philips APAP. Is there any advantage of Resmed over Philips for Auto CPAP?

2. Is it necessary to set the pressure range if Auto CPAP is used? The doctor said it will be taken care by the machine but I have noticed many of you have changed the pressure range.

3. After using CPAP (with no humidifier) during polysomnography his AHI became 0 but he was feeling uneasy to breath at pressure 10. Will the EPR (Exhalation Pressure Relief) settings and humidifier helps in this case?

4. What is the default EPR settings in Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Questions before Buying
As far as number 2 goes, as data is collected, he may be able to zero in on a range which works best for him.
Setting a lower boundary pressure will help him start at his optimal pressure without waiting for the machine to take some time to determine it.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
3. EPR will help.
4. Default is probably OFF. Can be set to 1, 2 or 3 cm-water.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
1. Both the Resmed and Philips APAP are top of the line. The Resmed responds more quickly to events which can be good if the current pressure is far from the needed pressure, but that can also wake you up. The Phillips responds in a slower and gentler manner, but that can let events through if the pressure range is wide. I suggest trialling both if you can and see which he prefers. The Resmed's EPR and Phillip's AFlex and CFlex perform a similar function different and feel different. He may have a preference for one over the other. In summary, it is like arguing Audi vs BMW. Either machine is a great choice.

2. You CAN set Auto to have a min and max of the same pressure. This can be useful as some machines collect different data in Auto mode. The best setting is a narrow range as the pressure needs to change less to prevent future events. The suppliers often set this range too wide resulting in discomfort and poor therapy. We can help you and your father fine tune the range. And all APAP machines can also run in straight CPAP mode.

3. The uneasy feeling breathing might also just be getting used to it. I had this a lot at first even at a pressure of 8 and now I don't notice it at all at a pressure of 15. It is going to feel a bit odd at first and he needs to allow himself time to get used to the difference. Eventually the brain says. "OK this is safe and normal, I don't need to be concerned about it anymore."

Post Reply Post Reply
BTW you are a good kid, taking the time to take care of dad.like

Give yourself a hug.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for the feedbacks, would like to get some more opinions.

(01-08-2017, 07:42 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: BTW you are a good kid, taking the time to take care of dad.like

Give yourself a hug.

Sleep-well

I try my best. Big Grin Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2017, 07:16 PM)chill Wrote: 1. Both the Resmed and Philips APAP are top of the line. The Resmed responds more quickly to events which can be good if the current pressure is far from the needed pressure, but that can also wake you up. The Phillips responds in a slower and gentler manner,

I am not sure if you are aware, but the Resmed Airsense 10 autoset (APAP) now also has a "comfort" setting to slow down the response to events. "Normal" mode (which increases pressure more aggressively) is still available.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2017, 09:10 PM)tedgreen Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 07:16 PM)chill Wrote: 1. Both the Resmed and Philips APAP are top of the line. The Resmed responds more quickly to events which can be good if the current pressure is far from the needed pressure, but that can also wake you up. The Phillips responds in a slower and gentler manner,

I am not sure if you are aware, but the Resmed Airsense 10 autoset (APAP) now also has a "comfort" setting to slow down the response to events. "Normal" mode (which increases pressure more aggressively) is still available.

How to configure the comfort setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
When you get the machine, all questions can be answered. Also, you can request the clinician manual from the forum. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2017, 09:18 PM)sjishan Wrote:
(01-08-2017, 09:10 PM)tedgreen Wrote: I am not sure if you are aware, but the Resmed Airsense 10 autoset (APAP) now also has a "comfort" setting to slow down the response to events. "Normal" mode (which increases pressure more aggressively) is still available.

How to configure the comfort setting?

It's one of the settings in the clinical menu. However, I believe this a fairly recent addition, so older machines, with older firmware may not have it.

Otherwise, you can get the "Autoset for her" model, which I believe also has a gentler pressure increase mode (and is used by many men anyway).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,542 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.