Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] REMstar Auto A-flex
REMstar Auto A-flex
Hi guy's, Am home with my CPAP:grin: This is the model REMstar Auto A-flex i have a full mask, and the respiratory consultant thinks i am going to do great! I must say i felt very comfortable when he fit me with the mask, and also fine with the pressure! The CPAP pressure of 4-18.

I will go back in 2 weeks time for my consultant to read my sd card and then decide what pressure i need.

Is this machine one that automatically gives you the pressure you need or the Doc decides the pressure? Don't understand the part auto.

The technician said wear it if i go for a nap and while watching tv or reading. He said it will time to feel the effects and while i am waiting to go back to them i can ring the technician any time i have a problem.

I am looking forward to getting some good night's sleep now that i have my CPAP!

Can you guy's give me your thoughts on the make and the pressure it's set at.

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: REMstar Auto A-flex
With the Respironics, the best way to tell your unit model is to remove the water chamber and then turn the unit over. I will have a number that is more definitive way of identifying the model (the "names" Respironics puts on the top of the machines are not very good descriptors.) From the "REMstarAuto A-flex" I am guessing yours will be a 560? An auto adjusting, data capable machine. As a breakdown, 60 is the series of these units, and the 500 part means auto. 460 I think is a straight pressure, data capable CPAP. A 260 is a straight pressure, non-data capable machine, which some refer to as a brick.

With an auto, the pressure the physician prescribes is a range: in your case, the range is 4 cm to 18 cm of H2O. The machine starts at the lower end of the range (4 cm pressure) and it will increase the pressure within that range (possibly, but not necessarily, up to 18 cm, it will only go as high as needed to open the airway) as it detects an event happening. It will usually increase pressure until the event subsides and then gradually lower the pressure back down. It will usually report a "90%" or a "95%" pressure which is the pressure you were below 90 or 95% of the time.

A lot of the time, if you end up with a straight pressure machine (one set pressure, not auto adjusting), the set pressure prescribed is something close to that 90 or 95% pressure so as to eliminate most all of the aepnic events you are likely to see...

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
If you find yourself "breathless" at 4... don't be afraid to move that bottom number up to 6 or 7... I started with 6 and moved to 7 within the first month - can't imagine trying to breath at only 4 (altho some say they do...)
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sweet Birdsong,
The "Auto" just means that you have an Auto CPAP machine, where you can set a range between two numbers, for example, 4/18.
Your therapist set a range of 4-18. Your machine will find the pressure you need between those two numbers.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions.
Much success to you with your CPAP trial and therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea - what Darth, er Daria, said. 4 to me is too little air and I feel like I am def, er, suffocating.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2015, 02:06 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: With the Respironics, the best way to tell your unit model is to remove the water chamber and then turn the unit over. I will have a number that is more definitive way of identifying the model (the "names" Respironics puts on the top of the machines are not very good descriptors.) From the "REMstarAuto A-flex" I am guessing yours will be a 560? An auto adjusting, data capable machine. As a breakdown, 60 is the series of these units, and the 500 part means auto. 460 I think is a straight pressure, data capable CPAP. A 260 is a straight pressure, non-data capable machine, which some refer to as a brick.

With an auto, the pressure the physician prescribes is a range: in your case, the range is 4 cm to 18 cm of H2O. The machine starts at the lower end of the range (4 cm pressure) and it will increase the pressure within that range (possibly, but not necessarily, up to 18 cm, it will only go as high as needed to open the airway) as it detects an event happening. It will usually increase pressure until the event subsides and then gradually lower the pressure back down. It will usually report a "90%" or a "95%" pressure which is the pressure you were below 90 or 95% of the time.

A lot of the time, if you end up with a straight pressure machine (one set pressure, not auto adjusting), the set pressure prescribed is something close to that 90 or 95% pressure so as to eliminate most all of the aepnic events you are likely to see...

OMMOHY

Hi there, thanks for the great info on my CPAP, Yes it is the A 60.

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2015, 02:09 PM)DariaVader Wrote: If you find yourself "breathless" at 4... don't be afraid to move that bottom number up to 6 or 7... I started with 6 and moved to 7 within the first month - can't imagine trying to breath at only 4 (altho some say they do...)

Hi and thanks for your thoughts. Because it's an auto it will give me the pressure i need when i need it am i right? So it won't be at a set number until I go back to the Doc. If i need only 4 that's a good thing no? I think they are trying to figure out where i will be at by putting 4-18, somewhere between those figures.

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2015, 02:16 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Sweet Birdsong,
The "Auto" just means that you have an Auto CPAP machine, where you can set a range between two numbers, for example, 4/18.
Your therapist set a range of 4-18. Your machine will find the pressure you need between those two numbers.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions.
Much success to you with your CPAP trial and therapy.

Hi there and thanks for your explanation. I will find out soon enough the pressure i will need. Thanks for your kind thoughts and i wish you lot's of success too Smile

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2015, 03:30 PM)Sweet Birdsong Wrote: Hi there, thanks for the great info on my CPAP, Yes it is the A 60.

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile

A 60? It may be a 60 series unit, but that is not the full model number. If you take out the water tank and flip the machine over, you should see, right above the S/N barcode, a box that says "REF" and next to it it will have the model number you need. In the attached pic it is a 560P model.

Check the bottom and let us know the complete number. Are you going to keep this machine or is it a loaner until you finalize what you will get?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2015, 03:39 PM)Sweet Birdsong Wrote:
(05-14-2015, 02:09 PM)DariaVader Wrote: If you find yourself "breathless" at 4... don't be afraid to move that bottom number up to 6 or 7... I started with 6 and moved to 7 within the first month - can't imagine trying to breath at only 4 (altho some say they do...)

Hi and thanks for your thoughts. Because it's an auto it will give me the pressure i need when i need it am i right? So it won't be at a set number until I go back to the Doc. If i need only 4 that's a good thing no? I think they are trying to figure out where i will be at by putting 4-18, somewhere between those figures.

Best Wishes
Sweet Birdsong Smile

if 4 is the bottom number then it will try its best to go down to 4 over and over, and it will start at 4. If mine was at 4 I would hyperventilate or mouth breathe. Neither of those are good. The beginning pressure should be comfortable. If 4 is comfortable, then well enough. If it isn't though, I would not leave that as the bottom number for 1 second. Smile

Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 375 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 252 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 2,999 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  Remstar pro m series two beeps how can I reset? cantgettosleep 2 1,051 05-21-2023, 10:31 AM
Last Post: cantgettosleep
  Remstar plus self diagnosis setting? Sleepyjake 0 453 02-10-2023, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Sleepyjake

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.